Hydrometer Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sputs10

Reaction score
Hello,

I've got a couple questions on how you guys use your hydrometers. I have an Amber Ale in primary fermentation right now in a carboy.

1) Do you use a hydrometer test jar? It seems the one I have would take too much of a sample. If I were to use it over the course of 3 days to check when my beer is ready, I would probably lose 1/3 gallon or something.

2) What do SG and FG stand for? I think it's Specific Gravity, and Final Gravity, but I'm not sure. My recipe says I should see 1.042-1.046 SG, and 1.010-1.012 FG. So, I think the FG is how I know when the beer is ready to be bottled??

Thanks in advance guys!

You can sanitize the hydrometer and drop it right in your bucket fermenter. If you use a carboy, that would be tough. I use a test tube with the hydrometer and drink the sample.

#2 you are correct.

They make smaller sample jars. The first one I had was too big as well and found the smaller one at the home brew supply store.

SG - Specific gravity (any reading taken)
OG - Original gravity (the gravity at the beginning of fermentation)
FG - Final gravity (the gravity at the end of fermentation)

The difference between OG and FG tells you ABV (alcohol by volume)

I show what I use in one of my gadget videos on my youtube channel. I basically use the plastic tube the hydrometer comes in with this blue hard foam washer from Northern Brewer that's made to fit the bottom for $1.60. That way,I only use a few ounces to test.
SG= Specific Gravity,any test done with a hydrometer.
OG= Original Gravity,taken before yeast is pitched.
FG= Final Gravity,taken 3 days apart to ensure fermentation is done.
There are many formulas to use that calculate ABV%,but I use the Cooper's formula of (OG-FG)/7.46 + .5 = ABV%.I've found the answers fall in line with what BS2 gives.

1) Do you use a hydrometer test jar? It seems the one I have would take too much of a sample. If I were to use it over the course of 3 days to check when my beer is ready, I would probably lose 1/3 gallon or something.

a 1/3 gallon is about 43 ozs which is about 14 ozs a sample, I would say get a smaller jars

I use a two piece jar and I do not believe it takes more the six ozs to test a sample

another thought be put a bit more in your fermenter in the begining so you have extra for your samples

all the best

S_M

Depending on the person SG could also reference Starting gravity. Though normally it should refer to specific gravity.

Back