Hydrometer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traz1986

Reaction score
Has anyone left a hydrometer floating in your carboy during fermentation? I want to check often as I believe it is about to finish, but hate to risk contamination. Is there anything wrong with trying this provided I leave enough room so it does not bump the top? Just a thought. Thanks.

First- how are you going to get an accurate reading if there's still any Krausen? Second-if there is active fermentation the CO2 being produced will alter your reading. Last how are your going to retrieve your hydrometer & what if you break it during the process?

I agree with the concerns raised by the previous response. You can theoretically sanitize it, but the risk of contamination will be high every time you retrieve it, and your readings won't be very accurate or easy to read anyway.

I understand the temptation to know exactly when your beer is finished, but also remember that target FG is just a prediction, and just because it's reached the FG you plan for the beer doesn't mean the yeast aren't still fermenting it. The best way to know the beer is done is to take one gravity reading per day for 3 days in a row and confirm that it is no longer dropping.

I know, it's hard. ;) Believe me, I've been there!

If you really want to monitor gravity while the beer is fermenting, I would recommend looking into something like Brew Balls (http://www.brewballstore.com/). But I haven't used them personally and can't speak to whether they're accurate or sanitary.

Just let it sit for three weeks. Don't touch it, don't disturb it, let the yeast do it's magic. Then it will be done. :mug:

About the third batch of beer I ever did, I wanted to do this too. I just couldn't not constantly check to make sure the yeast were doing their only job. Fear of contamination far outweighed my obsessive curiosity. In the end I came up with a great idea...after pitching the yeast I pulled a sample and put it in a large graduated cylinder, put a hydrometer in wort, and placed some foil over the top.

I was able to watch the fermentation process and the hydrometer level drop as it approached completion. I would never use this as a tool to determine if the beer is done or not. It was just cool to watch.

Today I just set it aside for three weeks then drink some beer.

This is why I just picked up a brewometer. It's nice not having to crack the seal to take multiple samples to confirm the fermentation is finished :)

Back