Hydrometer help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugs13

Reaction score
Okay...even though our stout has been sittin in the 1st stage for a week now I did what you said and took a reading as we totally forgot to in the beginning. I was very careful and super sanitary...I took a reading with our hydrometer but now here is another problem...HOW DO I READ THE DAMN THING! These instructions that come with suck! The reading I got was in the green section labeled "FINISH" - under "BEER" - with a reading of about 15...it was between 10 and 20...I know this isn't how you really read it but...need some help with that...we are still newbies...also this hydrometer is setup for 60 degrees...our 1st stager is at 72 degrees right now and fermenting VERY VERY well and strong!!...just would like to learn more about readings to get more accurate...thanks:mug:

You read it like a thermometer. Sometimes these pictures help:

Hydromt.gif

this shows the gravity to be approximately 1.020

hydrometer2.JPG

this shows the gravity to be approximately 1.010

Hope this helps!

Jim

This helps alot...thanks so much!...so my reading was 1.015...I get it now...so when is a good time to swap to the secondary if we were to just go off of readings? I know standard is like 1 week I believe it states on some kits...but can you go off of readings? so if I check it tomorrow and the reading is the same, meaning nothing is happening is this a sign that it is ready?

Yes, you can rack it to the secondary after the fermentation is done, i.e. the hydrometer readings are stationary. Many people, though, leave the beer in the primary fermenter for three weeks or more, then racking to secondary or going straight to the bottling bucket. For most of my beers, its usually around 3-4 weeks in primary, one or two weeks in secondary, then bottling.

Back