Hydrometer Advice Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks man but I think you should not waste your dollars to save my rupees lol.
$10 is less then a twelve pack...or 2 gallons of gas now....and people intimidate me, so i want to see if i'm wrong or not....for sure. worth $10 to me
No I mean the risk I take and the huge amount I pay. Almost five times more then what you pay. And to be among very very few people in this place who are independent because of this knowledge and experience (at this point I am just a noob )

but the khat tea flows freely right? i have problems with that here in the states :(

$10 is less then a twelve pack...or 2 gallons of gas now....and people intimidate me, so i want to see if i'm wrong or not....for sure. worth $10 to me

but the khat tea flows freely right? i have problems with that here in the states :(
What is khat tea?
i hope i'm not helping you become a gangster? and just be free.....
No lol don't worry . The drinks will be for my personal consumption only or to share with friends.
That means to not rely on a piece of **** bootlegger pimp who exploits you for a money.
I have no plans to open a brewery or bootlegging business.
If consuming alcohol equals gangsterism then we are all in the same club :lol: 🍺

🥰

maybe 'Qat' there? isn't that what you drink instead of above quote, by freshmen chemistry students? :mug:

🥰🥰🥰🥰
Oh Americans and their geography lol.
Dude pakistan isn't in the middle east its in south asia.
That khat tea is famous in some arab and most African countries. No one here drinks that tea.
Though things related to cannabis are very common here. Hashish , bhang(local cannabis drink).Because of the neighboring Afghanistan. We also grow cannabis on our areas close to Afghan border.
It's illegal but a very socially acceptable thing. In public places you often smell cannabis in the air. Seeing people smoking joints. I've never seen anyone here getting arrested from hashish smoking.
Different cultures are interesting and Rip logic lol.
Both are intoxicants but alcohol is taken more seriously here.

Last edited:
Dude pakistan isn't in the middle east its in south asia.

you're west of india right? i actually thought khat was all through those arid places? i had a couple plants myself here for a while...but lost them :(

(and OT i should get my aquarium hydro fri or saturday this week...)

yeah i looked it up, and have to admit i had pakistan and iran backwards.. i thought iran was the country bordering india, and pakistan was the one directly west of it bordering iran..but i thought those plants grew all through those parts because it doesn't ever freeze in any of them....

(gives me an idea if brewingwisdom can't get a hydro...maybe different freezing points will reveal how much sugar is present? ;))

yeah i looked it up, and have to admit i had pakistan and iran backwards.. i thought iran was the country bordering india, and pakistan was the one directly west of it bordering iran..but i thought those plants grew all through those parts because it doesn't ever freeze in any of them....

(gives me an idea if brewingwisdom can't get a hydro...maybe different freezing points will reveal how much sugar is present? ;))
Man looks like you skipped the geography class in high school 😂😂
Anyways these days just a Google search can give you more than a geography class.

🤣 high school, that's where all the other kids got beat up! i quit school after the 4th grade! :mug:

edit: ( tell you the truth, i don't even know what 'state' is directly east of me!
Wow I thought in such a developed and educated country everyone is at least a university graduate.
Well you are a knowledgeable person ,experience is the best teacher. You don't have to learn everything from a formal education system.
Just curious what do you do for a living ?

no? they are all in prison for letting drug dealers take advantage of them?

complicated? (embarrassed enough to not want to say)
Look man I am by no mean looking down upon you. I am just curious so asking questions because what you just told me is shocking to me. A complete opposite of what my perception was.

A complete opposite of what my perception was.

well, that's just my view and what i deal with..that's why i like drinking for the ease and simplicity of making all my own of it...i've had to learn some basic chemistry skills to fight off the.. well you said it best!
That means to not rely on a piece of **** bootlegger pimp who exploits you for a money.

but honestly man...when it gets dark enough in 'my' house.... i turn one of these on, not sure what $200 converts to in rupees...but it's a 160" HD screen....

i'm not claiming we're all in hell, just a lot of kiddos get taken by the rock man....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284720198243?hash=item424aa57263:g:JdMAAOSw0~FiJ7pA

🤣 i just got curious about the exchange rate....this salinity hydro cost me $9 USD, or 1800 Rs's....and it was just for one! you can get a two pack for 600 Rs! ;) :mug: :mug:

🤣 i just got curious about the exchange rate....this salinity hydro cost me $9 USD, or 1800 Rs's....and it was just for one! you can get a two pack for 600 Rs! ;) :mug: :mug:
That's because of the higher sales tax you pay on everything over there or perhaps here most stuff is china made. And labour is really cheap in china as compared to US.

That's because of the higher sales tax you pay on everything over there or perhaps here most stuff is china made. And labour is really cheap in china as compared to US.

pretty sure it's because nothing is actually free, and 'free shipping' is a beatch....

Didn't understand what you are trying to say?

the marketing teams don't want me to 'feel' the money leaving my wallet, so use words like free to loosen it up...
You can find almost everything here.

that's what surprised me! now i envision you kicking back with your hometheater watching bollywood movies instead of drinking out of the creek! (al beit trying to make beer with it! ;) :mug:)

the marketing teams don't want me to 'feel' the money leaving my wallet, so use words like free to loosen it up...

that's what surprised me! now i envision you kicking back with your hometheater watching bollywood movies instead of drinking out of the creek! (al beit trying to make beer with it! ;) :mug:)
I pay a little shipping fee of 59-100 rupees( 40 cents almost).
I have both options we have beautiful hills and creeks in northern areas. I live close to northern part of country.
images.jpeg-5.jpg
images.jpeg-6.jpg
images.jpeg-7.jpg
images.jpeg-8.jpg
images.jpeg-9.jpg
images.jpeg-10.jpg

i looked at one of those, think he's waiting on the 24-31 day delivery time?

and @BrewingWisdom wait? that's pakistan and not oregon? damn, making beer from that 'creek' would be a marketing thing here! coor's likes bragging about their rocky mountain water! (but they're all inbev now :()
Of course lol that's northern pakistan not Oregon. If you doubt me search "northern Pakistan" on google.

Of course lol that's northern pakistan not Oregon. If you doubt me search "northern Pakistan" on google.

if i ever win and try playing 'name that skyline game' again...i'll throw them all a curve ball with that! :mug:

edit: not to pry but how does land ownership work? and how much does it cost to buy a house if possible?

Again I am lost lol.
I can understand English but not your local jargon and terms.

yeah, i have trouble with comunication skills.

but in that case there's a game people play around HBT, where people will post a picture of a skyline, and someone has to guess where it is....i thought a sky line from N.Pakistan would SOOOO, through them way off the track! :mug:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/name-that-skyline-picture-game.586046/page-304#post-9276971

if you ever feel like playing, but it's a tough one!

edit: not to pry but how does land ownership work? and how much does it cost to buy a house if possible?
Different areas have different rates.
Urban areas are more expensive.
In those northern areas land tend to cheap. In those northern areas mostly the natives live , very few city dwellers live or settle over there. In the future I intend to build a house over there with a secret brewery and distillary hidden in those mountains lol(only for my personal consumption)

so what you're saying is there is not only no hydrometers, but no home ownership? i don't pay any rate?
I didn't say.
Of course there is a proper land ownership with a land record and proper documentation in the registration office run by the government.
And things can be cheap but not free. Like everywhere you have to pay to purchase a land.

all you need is a hydrometer measuring 1.000 to 1.060, take a reading pre yeast addition, and another at the end of fermentation. Typical would be 1.045 and 1.008

table on the web to convert that to abv

To add to the mash-up:
Brewing America has NIST-traceable hydrometers at: brewingamerica.com/collections/all
The one for beer has 3 scales, their "Pro Series Brewing ABV Testing Triple Scale."
The hydrometer should ship with a card with temperature adjustments around a certain range, but the full list of adjustments can be downloaded from their site.

Wow I thought in such a developed and educated country everyone is at least a university graduate.
Not even close, friend. There are many parts with not much more basic education than how we perceive Pakistan. Sure, ~40% have a college degree of some kind, but we have large swaths of very uneducated folks here in the US. And having a university degree here doesn't mean knowledgeable by any stretch, or willing to use it. :)

Man, I love these kinds of forums -- chatting with someone from a very different culture on the other side of the spinning rock, and about beer.

Not even close, friend. There are many parts with not much more basic education than how we perceive Pakistan. Sure, ~40% have a college degree of some kind, but we have large swaths of very uneducated folks here in the US. And having a university degree here doesn't mean knowledgeable by any stretch, or willing to use it. :)

Man, I love these kinds of forums -- chatting with someone from a very different culture on the other side of the spinning rock, and about beer.
Yeah our perceptions are wrong mostly and what I've found is that the human tribe is more similar than different. Regardless of a different culture , religion or race.

We have a literacy rate of around 60% with 15% who have a university education.
We also have a large swath of uneducated folks. Well education is everywhere ,I think we should not call someone uneducated just because he didn't pursue a formal path of education. Quite often you will meet people with more competence with no formal education.

That does not look like a hydrometer for measuring beer (or cider, wine, etc.). From what I see, the first marks are 1.000, 1.100, and 1.200 and the readings max out at 2.000. The second reading (1.100) is what you would expect as the OG for a 11% beer. The scale for most beer hydrometers maxes out around 1.160.

Looking at that site, nothing jumped out to me as a suitable hydrometer. There are a few refractometers that might work.
I'm glad you looked at that and saved him the trouble. I'm still wondering what the hell I was seeing that morning. I would have swore the pic I saw had 1.000 near the top. My apologies to the OP and anyone else for that matter !

Back