Human Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewLocal365

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was in Southern Germany a few weeks ago during a heat wave. The places we were staying had no AC (most smaller inns and hotels, and even many major chain properties, don't have it).

When we couldn't get a good cross-breeze at night or had no fan, to cope I ran the water until it was as cold as it got, then plugged and filled the sink, and dunked both hands in past the wrist. I felt 100% cooler in seconds. I left the sink full, and each time I woke in the middle of the night in heat despair, I would do the same and fall right back to sleep without a problem.

Find a spot where a high volume of blood flows near the surface (wrists) and immerse in cold water. Presto! I've known the basic principles of thermodynamics and heat exchange since high school, but I can honestly say if not for brewing, I never would have thought to apply them in this way!

Glad it helped! lol.

ice packs under your arm pits and in groin area are the best. major blood flows in those areas.

SO we should all learn from this.

If you are going to be in icy waters, wear: armpit warmers, wrist bands, and an insulated condom.

You were hot and cold water made you cooler? Brilliant!

I bet if you had dunked your head under the water for about 10 minutes, you would have gotten colder even faster :)

I kid, of course! :tank:

Back