HUGE Hop Crowns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatspin

Reaction score
No questions this time, but I had to share these photos!

Yesterday I was traveling through Michigan and since I was in the area, I stopped by Great Lakes Hops to pick up a couple hop crowns - the second picture is the centennial crown and the third picture is the sterling crown. I got there about 1:00 with the intent of just getting a couple crowns and continuing down the road. Well, I ended up getting an hour long tour of the facility complete with answers to pretty much every hop-growing question I could come up with. On top of that, take a look at the size of the crowns they sold me!

These are too big to ship without the shipping charge being excessive, so they are available for people who stop by in person (there are probably about 50 crowns like this split among a dozen varieties just sitting outside, waiting to be planted). I will be putting these into the ground either this weekend or next, depending on whether I can actually get out to buy some fertilizer today. I’m hoping with the root system already developed on these that I might actually get enough hops off these for a few batches this fall.

Hop Crowns.jpg

Centennial Crown.jpg

Sterling Crown.jpg

That's what I'm hoping. These were grown from cuttings last April, so other than the stress of re-planting, they should behave like a second year hop plant.

Oh yeah, you'll get a pretty good harvest this year for sure. So what do they charge for crowns like that?

These were $10 each, the same as a regular crown. It was summed up to me that since they only sell these to people who show up, they don't have to bother with shipping. So by charging the same amount and not paying shipping, we both came out ahead.

I agree, 10 bucks is a wicked deal for crowns like that. I paid 7 each plus shipping for my rhizimes and they were little twigs with a couple buds on them.

Yeah, it really is a fantastic deal. I wish that I had room to plant more than just these two!

If anyone wanted to head over there to purchase some I would be more than happy to share the fuel cost. It would be quite a drive for me but if I could meet someone half way it might be worth it.

those are incredible. I just ordered 6 from them. If the crowns produce the way it sounds like they will I think great lakes hops has made rhizomes a thing of the past.

I've been very satisfied with my Great Lakes Hops that I received 3 weeks ago. The pic is what the plants were like when i planted them, now they're about 4-5 feet tall growing up the ficus.

2012-02-09_17-36-05_933.jpg

Highly recommend GLH for hop plants.

Back