Huge help with brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdbc2011

Reaction score
I have a direct fire single tier five gallon system. It is now a hybrid system with a hot water coil in the mash. The HLT is kept a few degrees hotter than the target mash temp with an installed 120 volt heat stick. The temp depends on the outside temp. Today it had a 3 degree differential.

Now for the huge help. My HLT has a heat stick installed and I have extra one. It is put in the mash tun. Both are hooked to stc1000 controllers with their respective temps. I plugged them in early this morning, and went back to sleep for about an hour. When I went outside both were almost at the proper temps. I fired the propane for a few minutes and mashed in within 10 minutes.

The heat sticks not only save propane but also at least a half hour on brew day.

They certainly do help. Can you see yourself going all electric someday?

Yes I can. I have been looking at different panels here on HBT and at some of the websites of different vendors. I do like the mash heating coil concept and would like to use a 220/240 volt element for boiling. But I might would switch to a traditional herms set up if I go all electric.

Unlike many here on HLT, the winter is a great time to brew outside. The summers are not so great. It can be almost 100 degrees by time I am finished. It would be nice to be all electric when I have an indoor space.

Back