Hudepohl 15.5 Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntsman

Reaction score
Well I went to a local brewery inquiring about decommissioned kegs suitable for making a keggle. The brewer brought out an old Hudepohl keg that has either a plastic or a rubberized coating around and on top of this keg. The handles for lifting the keg are incorporated into this plastic or rubber piece. My question is. "How do I remove this plastic or rubberized piece from the stainless part?" Or, is it not removable and I should cut it away altogether? I would like to be able to follow one of the threads on here on using a jig and a side grinder to remove a hole from the top but should I first remove the plastic or leave it? If I remove it altogether then the keg would be handle-less. If anyone has any experience with this type of keg, please offer up some sugestions as to going about keggle-ing this guy. Thanks

Maybe post a picture? I've never seen the one you are talking about.. only the Miller ones that are covered with rubber.

Photo would help.... you could always do the side cut and do rope handles like this one I have... but I will warn you... it leaks with 10 gallon batches. This one is destined to become my HLT. Here is the photo:
September_brewday_011.jpg

And yes, that is my hi tec, fancy beer making sculture... don't laugh too hard!

I'd suggest removing the entire top, rubber included. Look for the seam where the top is welded to the sidewall, and use an angle grinder to cut around the circumference. Simple handles can be spot welded on the sides. If you don't have a welder, any shop should be able to do this really cheap. No beads, no real skill, just a 2 second tack on each handle is all you need.

allclean.jpg

Back