HOWTO - Make a BrewPi Fermentation Controller For Cheap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

First time poster - firstly thanks to FuzzeWuzze for the excellent guide and long standing support!

Has anyone successfully got BrewPi to work on a Teensy board? I'm interested in doing this to reduce the footprint in my case as I'm using a Raspberry Pi Zero.

Cheers

Does the teensy board have as much code space as the arduino? why not use a nano or mini?

[...]Has anyone successfully got BrewPi to work on a Teensy board? I'm interested in doing this to reduce the footprint in my case as I'm using a Raspberry Pi Zero.

Cheers

I don't see any chance of that happening without a substantial rewrite of the BrewPi Arduino code to port it over. The 32 bit ARM Cortex Teensy uses is a completely different micro architecture from the AVR.

If compact packaging is your goal, wbarber is pointing in the correct direction.
Code-compatible AVR in a tiny package...

Cheers!

Hi everyone,
I'm having trouble flashing my Arduino Uno. This is probably also why the webpage says, the script is not running.
I have BrewPi running on a RaspberryPi and receive the following error when executing updater.py:

`Checking current firmware version...
Apr 16 2016 16:16:34 Opening serial port
Apr 16 2016 16:16:44 Error while opening serial port:
Could not find compatible serial devices
Unable to receive version from controller.
Is your controller unresponsive and do you wish to try restoring your firmware? [y/N]:`

I get a very similar error when trying to reprogramm the Arduino via the BrewPi webpage.

When executing autoSerial.py I get the following result:

`All ports:
/dev/ttyACM0 - Arduino Uno, VID:2a03, PID:0043
/dev/ttyAMA0 - ttyAMA0, VID:None, PID:None
Compatible ports:
Selected port: (None, None)`

However `lsusb` gives me this:

`Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 2a03:0043`

I also tried flashing the 'minimal' or 'blink' sample to the Arduino via a PC. However it didn't change anything...
I hope you guys can help me. I'm kind of stuck...

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I'm sorry for double posting also at the brewpi community: https://community.brewpi.com/t/could-not-find-compatible-serial-device/1567/1
I didn't realize I needed to own 'basic user'-right to post a new topic, so I posted it here until I owned the rights :)

SvenF. When you installed brewpi did you download the legacy branch? If not you need to. Brewpi has grown to a point that they no longer are using arduino, but elkoe is still providing the software in the legacy branch.

Thanks for the reply but Elco already helped me. My Uno has a weird VID and I had to add it to the known_devices list in autoSerial.py. That made it work perfectly. I was always using the legacy branch.

However now I'm struggeling to setup my devices. BrewPi doesn't recognize my teperature probes as such. I only see one device a A5 which I cannot set to temp probe... also my probes are actually at A4.
The other weird thing is, that since I flashed the BareMinimum sample to my Uno, the relais board stopped to power up... I suspect the 5V pin is not outputting 5V anymore (which would also explain why the probes don't work) but how could that be?
I don't have a multimeter on hand unfortunately...

EDIT: I tried DS18X20 Arduino OneWire Sample and both probes are giving me valid data in the serial-monitor (changed the probes to pin 10 for this). So the wireing seems fine. I retried the brewpi script with the probes on pin 10 without success however. It doesn't even see any device on Pin 10. Only one on A5, where nothing is attached. Btw. it seems to recognized my relays correctly on Pin 5 and 6...

EDIT2: I now borrorwed a multimeter. Everything gets 4.8V, so I guess the relay LEDs only light up when they are switched to on. Also the probes get their 4.8V. I also measured the resistor and it is almost exactly 4.7K Ohm... I really don't know whats wrong... I'm stuck...

Being someone who knows enough to be dangerous, but not enough to fully grasp the technical details of the inner workings of BrewPi, I'm pretty sure I mucked things up in regards to the temperature profile builder...

I just recently moved across country. I built my three instance BrewPi system (two fermenters and a general utility Pi) in my former home and was only able to get a couple of batches in before family obligations took over my time. At that point, about a year ago, everything was working. After the move, I have been cleaning my brewing system up and did an initial quick test in all systems, including booting up BrewPi. I decided to clean up both the Batches list and Saved Profiles, and proceeded to look up how to remove unused data and found var/www/ferment1(this is one file location of three)/data. Foolishly, I deleted all files in the folder without saving a backup. I went to start a new fermentation profile today. The creation of the fermenting batch worked as it should, but when I went to input the temp & time parameters, it wouldn't let me save it. I tried it through Internet Explorer off my pc and it would get stuck in the dropdown calendar. Below is a screenshot of the contents of var/www/ferment1/data. It looks like the two logging scenario's I created for the test and batch today have been tracking, but any hints of the Profile do not show up. I hope what I did is reversible and would be very appreciative of any advice or pointers to finding information to fix this mistake.
Cheers!

Capture.PNG

Any reason why my heating element keeps shutting down? I have a 100w reptile heating bulb in a socket rated to 150w. The BrewPi powers it for about 3-5 minutes, then it stops working. I plugged it directly into another socket bypassing the BrewPi and it seems to works fine.

Well, I tried something and screwed everything up. Now, I'm reinstalling my devices because the temp probes stopped working. If I get it back to where it was ill post temp graphs.

I can think of two reasons. One is that the BrewPi calculated that the heater should be on for a few minutes and then turned it off. You should be able to see this from the graph.

The second is that there may be a problem with your switching element. Are you using a relay or an SSR? If it's an SSR and it's faulty it might work for a while and then cut out.

Well, I just wiped my brewpi SD card and reinstalled the whole thing. I have it back up and running...finally...(12:30AM local time) and I just pitched my yeast for my brew from this afternoon and tossed it in the ferm chamber. It's on the back deck and ambient lows should be okay this week. I'll check the temp graphs in the morning to see if the heater A) fires and/or B) shuts off after 5 minutes or so. Hopefully, a fresh install solves all the software issues. [fingers crossed]

For those with a heating element, what are you using? I bought a reptile heating cable, but at only 15W, it isn't strong enough. I'm thinking of switching it out for a 100W ceramic heating bulb. Ultimately, I would like to get the brewpi ferm chamber indoors, or at least in the garage, but for the time being it is on the screened in porch where it is subject to wild temperature swings.

Also, I've been trying to figure out the external page thing so I can monitor the temperature while away from the house, but I can't figure out how to access it. I have the index.php [public] and admin.php pages setup that I can access locally. I'm pretty sure I got the port forwarding done on the router by following Uverse instructions. But now I'm confused about how to access my router (?) from outside of my local network. I thought I read that you use some unique IP address which I thought I found, but I could never get it to load properly. I have a domain name that I'd like to push it to, but can't figure out the final step on how to get it there. Do I have to pay for a dyndns thing? Any help would be appreciated.

I use FLEX WATT heat tape, or FERM WRAP, as brand names differ (and price!). It works great and is much cheaper then anything out there. I can maintain 115 degrees in my Mash Tun for 3 days for my Berliner Weisse natural sour mash. You must cover the tape with insulation. I use the silver "bubble wrap type" thin insulation you can buy at Lowes or HD in the fiberglass insulation section. You also need to solder an electrical cord onto the heat strips, and then insulate over the solder joints with electrical isolation tape. IF soldering is not for you, then buy the quick crimp connectors for the Flex Watt. They cost a little more then a cord that you most likely have laying around in your junk pile.
Dont forget to insulate the outside of the tape! I also put a North Face sleeping bag around the Mash Tun, along with the silver insulation roll, to keep the high 115 degree temps. Look on ebay and Amazon, there are a half-dozen knock offs of the heat tape. I like the 4" wide for my conical fermenters, and the 12" for my Mash Tun. 4" is easier to wrap around past your valves and probe ports on a Conicals. Just keep the tape as close to your Wort center as possible, or at the lowest Wort point.

For those with a heating element, what are you using? I bought a reptile heating cable, but at only 15W, it isn't strong enough. I'm thinking of switching it out for a 100W ceramic heating bulb. Ultimately, I would like to get the brewpi ferm chamber indoors, or at least in the garage, but for the time being it is on the screened in porch where it is subject to wild temperature swings.

Also, I've been trying to figure out the external page thing so I can monitor the temperature while away from the house, but I can't figure out how to access it. I have the index.php [public] and admin.php pages setup that I can access locally. I'm pretty sure I got the port forwarding done on the router by following Uverse instructions. But now I'm confused about how to access my router (?) from outside of my local network. I thought I read that you use some unique IP address which I thought I found, but I could never get it to load properly. I have a domain name that I'd like to push it to, but can't figure out the final step on how to get it there. Do I have to pay for a dyndns thing? Any help would be appreciated.

I also have been trying to figure out how to get the Port Forwarding to work on my Router. I watched several YouTube vidios to help me understand this, but still can not get my Port to open, and access it, from OUTside of my local in-home network.....
I decided to try Team Viewer downloaded onto my smartphone and notepad, along with my Desk Top computer hosting my outside access. I am able to control my home computer with BrewPi IP address opened on my brouser from remote locations.
So far works great and I did not have to try and teach myself about all the aspects or Routers, Modems, and Ports...I am still determained to learn this! Building a BrePi makes you want to dig deeper into all that "what makes it work".
I would LOVE to know if anyone else out there can tell me if Port Forwarding Cons and Pros -v- Team Viewer??? I have been using Team Viewer for only a few days, and it seems to work for me now...but???:confused:

I also have been trying to figure out how to get the Port Forwarding to work on my Router. I watched several YouTube vidios to help me understand this, but still can not get my Port to open, and access it, from OUTside of my local in-home network.....
I decided to try Team Viewer downloaded onto my smartphone and notepad, along with my Desk Top computer hosting my outside access. I am able to control my home computer with BrewPi IP address opened on my brouser from remote locations.
So far works great and I did not have to try and teach myself about all the aspects or Routers, Modems, and Ports...I am still determained to learn this! Building a BrePi makes you want to dig deeper into all that "what makes it work".
I would LOVE to know if anyone else out there can tell me if Port Forwarding Cons and Pros -v- Team Viewer??? I have been using Team Viewer for only a few days, and it seems to work for me now...but???:confused:

What's the make/model/software version of your router? Whos your provider? I can look into it a little bit for you. If you'd prefer you can PM me.

Well you see the con to team viewer is that you have to have your pi running, and your pc running just to access the pi. with port forwarding on you could easily just pull up the webpage in a browser. you are most likely being port blocked by your ISP. they all used to do it. now some do and some don't. they don't want you wasting their (technically yours) bandwidth on webservers if you aren't paying for the commercial grade Internet…

You can change the port that the world sees though from the typical 80 to whatever you want as long as it isn't blocked (web, ftp, ssh) I typically use ports in the 65000 range for this if I need to run extra servers and stuff without jumping through hoops. you just have to remember that when you type in the IP address your isp gave you you have to follow up with the port too. unless you are specifically using 80 (http) or 81 (https). so when you use a different port your address will be http://xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:65000/brewpi/ for example.

Its an ASUS RT-AC66R Router and the Modem is a Arris TM822G. My internet Provider tells me that they ONLY block ports 25,7, 135-142,161-162 and 445-520! They are Armstrong Cable company.
I logged onto my router, then went to the Port Forwarding. Looking at the Local IP addresses listed, I then try to open the port number 80, and then apply it and reboot.
I then went to portchecker.co/ and canyouseeme.org, and the HTTP port 80 shows "Closed".
I am new to this port knowledge, I just may be making stupid mistakes, or just not opening the correct port.
Only thing I had success with, is using TeamViewer.com, downloading the app on my computer and device I use outside remotely, and take control of my home based Desktop, to see my RPi............:hs:
Thanks for any help! Hopefully, soon...I can check my camera looking at my blow-off hose and checking the BPi ! WHAT A LIFE WE HAVE!:D

Its an ASUS RT-AC66R Router and the Modem is a Arris TM822G. I logged onto my router, then went to the Port Forwarding. Looking at the Local IP addresses listed, I then try to open the port number 80, and then apply it and reboot.
I then went to portchecker.co/ and canyouseeme.org, and the HTTP port 80 shows "Closed".
I am new to this port knowledge, I just may be making stupid mistakes, or just not opening the correct port.
Only thing I had success with, is using TeamViewer.com, downloading the app on my computer and device I use outside remotely, and take control of my home based Desktop, to see my RPi............:hs:
Thanks for any help! Hopefully, soon...I can check my camera looking at my blow-off hose and checking the BPi ! WHAT A LIFE WE HAVE!:D

TeamViewer is using ssh tunneling to bypass all this. just because you open up your port on the router does not mean the Internet will be able to see it. or see it right away. it can take hours or days for the dns servers you are connected through to update their cache and if you don't have an active server on port 80 (your your isp is blocking port80) then the port will not be "open" per se.

I just watched like 5 seconds of a ui walkthroughs for your router and I see that the ui is located on port 80 itself. this may not cause external port issues, but my guess is that you have port 80 open and your router is blocking it because you don't have remote access turned on, nor should you. id just choose a different port to forward through easy peasy.

Edit: it also seems you have a firewall built in. this could also be an issue. try to use the filter setting of your firewall and look for anything tied to web services, http, etc. I can really do much more for you without physical access to the router or a better walk through to look at.

Its an ASUS RT-AC66R Router and the Modem is a Arris TM822G. My internet Provider tells me that they ONLY block ports 25,7, 135-142,161-162 and 445-520! They are Armstrong Cable company.
I logged onto my router, then went to the Port Forwarding. Looking at the Local IP addresses listed, I then try to open the port number 80, and then apply it and reboot.

Have you seen this? http://www.noip.com/support/knowledgebase/port-forwarding-on-asus-rc-ac66u/

If you followed those steps and it still doesn't work I'd look into a firewall like wbarber69 mentioned. "If you are still not able to see the ports check the firewall and anti-virus software on your computer."

Have you seen this? http://www.noip.com/support/knowledgebase/port-forwarding-on-asus-rc-ac66u/

If you followed those steps and it still doesn't work I'd look into a firewall like wbarber69 mentioned. "If you are still not able to see the ports check the firewall and anti-virus software on your computer."

THANKS thekraken (great Rum by-the-way!!), I did not see this knowledgebase.....
Thanks to wbarber too! ( I have no hair, so I a no-payer-for-da-Barber...)

All you BREWzers, out there, are the best, on this website!

So I have been using this for different tests and yesterday just installed a heat wrap. It holds temps very well. I did notice though most people have .4 to .5 difference range. In my images you can see that when I'm off its more like a 1 degree diff for a bit before it corrects itself. How do I bring this in a little bit? View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1461210378.690348.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1461210395.206751.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1461210413.033889.jpg

Your router supports its own hosted Vpn use that with open Vpn. I use that with my router and no need for portforwading. Can even use on phone. When away from home Turn on Vpn and boom type in brewpi ip and check on it.

Wow what a build!! I would learn to love to do this... I've been adding parts to my cart in Amazon but I'll have to admit I have no electronics experience and I'm a little intimidated but it sounds fun. Any reason a noob can't pull this off?! I've been looking at the wiring schematic would this get in the way of just plugging this screen on http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JFJJDGY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 or is there another way of wiring it? I'm just trying to wrap my head around all this I don't have much soldering experience mostly big clunky things that aren't a all motherboards so maybe I'm better off keeping it simple?! Haha on second thought is there anyone in north Phoenix that would enjoy helping me build this [emoji12]

Last edited by a moderator:
Your router supports its own hosted Vpn use that with open Vpn. I use that with my router and no need for portforwading. Can even use on phone. When away from home Turn on Vpn and boom type in brewpi ip and check on it.

I need to do this. Also a few pages back I reported my brewpi wasn't coming up any more but still running. The SD card was loose.

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Thanks for all the information in this thread, it helped me massively in building my own brew fridge.

I do seem to have a bit of a problem though. My fridge does not seem to be able to hold the temperature very high at night.

Currently I'm testing with just a glass of water. I'm wondering if a larger body of liquid, such as you might find in a fermenter would help reduce the temperature loss. Because of this I'm not too worried about the fluctuations of my 'beer' yet.

The arrow is where I removed a thick wooden shelf that was directly above the heating element. I thought that may have been insulating the element from the rest of the fridge. It does seem to have helped, but not by too much.

The heating element I'm using is a 60 Watt tubular heater (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131051286327). I've had a look around for larger wattage ones, but it seems 60 Watt is the max, unless I want to get one larger than 1 foot which wouldn't fit.

I'm having a hard time believing that this heater is unable to maintain a decent temperature at night. The fridge itself is quite old, although the door appears to make a good seal. I only had to create 1 additional hole in the back for the power chord for the heater, and this is a very snug fit.

The fridge is out in my garage, so this is only going to get worse in winter.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to improve the situation? Any ideas about what I can use as a bigger heater? Is this even going to be a problem once I have several litres of beer brewing in there?

brewpi test.png

I searched around a bit but maybe couldn't describe my question correctly to find an answer. I built a brewpi months back but never got around to testing it. Last night I filled a bucket fermentor with water and took brewpi for a test drive. It's been running in idle mode for 10 days now, I finally loaded a profile and began fermenting my water :D

However, I can't figure out how to clear the 10 days of idle. I only care about the chart where my profile is running, is there a way to trim this off so I can just see my active profile on the chart? I know I can drill down into that graph area that I care about, but I don't want to have to do that.

Thanks!

brewpi.PNG

Last edited:
so I've been at building my my brew pi for over a week now; I have managed to get everything but temp probes working. i have rebuilt and reinstalled Debian a dozen times and still no probes.
Finally I pulled everything apart and found a simple arduino program to map out my onewire bus. It doesnt matter how many or how few temp probes I wire up or what analogue in I try, it cant find any onewire devices.
I cant find any documentation on it but can just the onewire bus die on an arduino board?

Hi all,

Does anyone have any ideas about how to improve the situation? Any ideas about what I can use as a bigger heater? Is this even going to be a problem once I have several litres of beer brewing in there?

I started with dual 200w incandescent globes. Found this was cycling heat and cool too often.
Dropped to 1 x 100w. Then 1x 60w.finally 1x 25w.i found for my setup 25w is all I need.
I also run a small pc fan 24/7 in the fridge.
It's a small fridge that just fits my plastic carboy. I brew 23litre batches.
I also tried a personal 200w fan heater. This was too much. I also tried a 1500w hairdryer for no real reason.
25 w is fine for my setup for similar ambient temps you are showing.
I would think 60 w would be plenty.
Many here use much bigger heaters than 25 w
Reptile heaters. Heat tape. Personal 200 w heaters. Doesn't really matter.
If you haven't put a small fan in id try that first.

so I've been at building my my brew pi for over a week now; I have managed to get everything but temp probes working. i have rebuilt and reinstalled Debian a dozen times and still no probes.
Finally I pulled everything apart and found a simple arduino program to map out my onewire bus. It doesnt matter how many or how few temp probes I wire up or what analogue in I try, it cant find any onewire devices.
I cant find any documentation on it but can just the onewire bus die on an arduino board?

If you bought pre-wired probes, what wire colors did they use, and what are your assumptions wrt color vs function?

There have been probes with color schemes that didn't seem to fit any convention and gave folks fits trying to figure out what lead did what...

Cheers!

However, I can't figure out how to clear the 10 days of idle. I only care about the chart where my profile is running, is there a way to trim this off so I can just see my active profile on the chart? I know I can drill down into that graph area that I care about, but I don't want to have to do that.

Thanks!

Every script has a corresponding folder in the BrewPi file structure rooted somewhere below /var/www.

I have four BrewPi minions on this RPi2, and #1 has its data folder at /var/www/brewpi1/data/.

I'm currently running one of my ferm fridges with some blonde ale in it, and the script name is 'RPints BrewPi1 Blonde'.

BrewPi created a folder named RPints%20BrewPi1%20Blonde under that .../data folder, and in that folder it puts a .json file per day. When you fire up the web page the gui grabs all of those files to plot the chart.

So, if you want to delete the first ten days, navigate to that folder, delete the corresponding .json files. and refresh the web page.

Et voila! Magic!

Cheers! :D

If you bought pre-wired probes, what wire colors did they use, and what are your assumptions wrt color vs function?

There have been probes with color schemes that didn't seem to fit any convention and gave folks fits trying to figure out what lead did what...

Cheers!

the packaging and the listing gave me black (g) red (5v) yellow (data)
which made sense to me but I went ahead and tried different wiring combos, gave the arduino its own power supply, tested my resistors. now ive gone and done the same thing with a little program loaded on the arduino called one wire address finder; it cant find any. So now I'm down to either all of my probes are bad or my arduino is bad.
is there a way to test my probes and or my onewire bus with a meter?

Every script has a corresponding folder in the BrewPi file structure rooted somewhere below /var/www.

I have four BrewPi minions on this RPi2, and #1 has its data folder at /var/www/brewpi1/data/.

I'm currently running one of my ferm fridges with some blonde ale in it, and the script name is 'RPints BrewPi1 Blonde'.

BrewPi created a folder named RPints%20BrewPi1%20Blonde under that .../data folder, and in that folder it puts a .json file per day. When you fire up the web page the gui grabs all of those files to plot the chart.

So, if you want to delete the first ten days, navigate to that folder, delete the corresponding .json files. and refresh the web page.

Et voila! Magic!

Cheers! :D

Thank you so much! I also just realized that I guess I made a run called "test" earlier, so if I had named it something else it would have started fresh...

Here's a pic of my test water ferment, I am using an old kegerator and a seedling mat wrapped around a 6.5 gallon bucket with about 5.something gallons of water in it. I might need to adjust where the fridge temp probe is dangling, seeing some pretty wild swings ( I think? I never have actually run this before this attempt)

bp.PNG

Wow what a build!! I would learn to love to do this... I've been adding parts to my cart in Amazon but I'll have to admit I have no electronics experience and I'm a little intimidated but it sounds fun. Any reason a noob can't pull this off?! I've been looking at the wiring schematic would this get in the way of just plugging this screen on http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JFJJDGY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 or is there another way of wiring it? I'm just trying to wrap my head around all this I don't have much soldering experience mostly big clunky things that aren't a all motherboards so maybe I'm better off keeping it simple?! Haha on second thought is there anyone in north Phoenix that would enjoy helping me build this [emoji12]
Not sure what "Build" your talking about? The Raspberry Pi and the Arduino, only need 4 Female to Male and 3 Male to Male, "Dupont" Breadboard jumper wires. I bought a bunch M-M, F-M, F-F, so I could play around with other projects. There cheap. The electrical outlet is also just direct wired onto the screw terminals.
Only soldering I do, is for the Flex-Watt heating strips, and it is easy to do. Just go to youtube and check out some Vids or I do think some of the sellers of the Ferm-Wrap (different brand) have there own videos on how to solder these heat strips.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks, thyirishmen, I just now saw your post. Not sure what the heck is Vpn, but just another thingy-majig, to learn!
I'll try your Vpn option, as soon as I find out what it is.....:pipe:

Thanks, thyirishmen, I just now saw your post. Not sure what the heck is Vpn, but just another thingy-majig, to learn!
I'll try your Vpn option, as soon as I find out what it is.....:pipe:

A VPN creates a tunnel that will allow a device on a remote network to connect back to your home network like it was sitting right there. Then you can do everything remotely that you can do at home.

Port forwarding might give you less headaches. However, that option is a bit scary to me - exposing a website where you can mess with heating and cooling :/

I put a password on mine just to feel a little better about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back