How's my Crush?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekp83

Reaction score
I've been using a corona mill for a handful of batches now. This is what I've set the mill's crush at. Think it's too much? Haven't checked efficiency. Was a little under OG on the last batch, but that was likely a matter of time (30 min mash).

Attachments

• 20200822_195856.jpg
    20200822_195856.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 110
Really tough to say from that picture, although it has obviously been crushed. Best pictures for evaluating crush is a small sample of grain (half a teaspoon or so) spread out on a dark background for light grain, and a light background for dark grain.

What's your process? Traditional MLT or BIAB? Different crushes work better depending on process.

Brew on :mug:

Really tough to say from that picture, although it has obviously been crushed. Best pictures for evaluating crush is a small sample of grain (half a teaspoon or so) spread out on a dark background for light grain, and a light background for dark grain.

What's your process? Traditional MLT or BIAB? Different crushes work better depending on process.

Brew on :mug:
BIAB. Sorry about the pic. Thanks.

I would go much finer if BIAB. The pic looks very chunky. Go for a corn meal consistency with lots of flour. Your OG will go way up.

Definitely go finer for BIAB. The crush you have there will work OK, but need a 90 minute (or maybe longer) mash for full extraction of sugars. With a fine crush as per bgmac's description, you'll get away with a 30 minute mash if you want to.

Definitely go finer for BIAB. The crush you have there will work OK, but need a 90 minute (or maybe longer) mash for full extraction of sugars. With a fine crush as per bgmac's description, you'll get away with a 30 minute mash if you want to.
I'll take your word for it fellas, but I'm gonna have to take another picture because I could make pancakes with the flour I make from this crush. I actually pour it in my bag outside to so the flour doesn't disperse all over the floor.

Hard to tell from that picture. Dip your hand into the malt then take a picture of your hand. If not full of a lot of fine flour, not crushed hard enough.

i thought flour was a bad thing? in my thread everyone was saying i needed to start using conditioner? lol

You either got bad advice or misinterpreted.

probably both.....seems common on the interwebs.....but anyway, they said that i should spritz to 2% moisture to keep flour at bay......

then there was talk about

Marisa Tomei

Mayim Balik, but any hoo....the general consensus was, next batch try wetting it some how, on the surface.......

i thought flour was a bad thing? in my thread everyone was saying i needed to start using conditioner? lol

Too much flour's bad if you're recirculating, but not a problem for BIAB. Too much flour dust is a bad thinf for me anytime because it irritates my asthma, so conditioning keeps the dust down.

As others have said, it looks a bit coarse to me. You absolutely should have roughly 10% flour, by weight.

Conditioning with 2% water doesn't reduce flour in my experience. Its purpose is to maintain the integrity of the husks, which improves the quality of the filter bed. The increase in post-crush grist fluffiness is noticeable. Greater volume and when you pick up the bucket of grist, it feels surprisingly lightweight. In fact, one of the benefits to conditioning is being able to use a finer crush, resulting in more flour.

Last edited:
Conditioning with 2% water doesn't reduce flour in my experience.

It gives less airborn flour dust, not less flour in the crush. I.e less flour getting breathed in and settling on whatever's around where you're crushing, but not less flour in the grist. The water helps the flour settle.

Mine's covered when I mill. The dust comes as soon as the crushed grain's uncovered and especially when it's tipped into the mash tun.

hmm, i remember once a couple of asthmatics....laughing that i was the only one that didn't have asthma...and i smoke cigarettes....lol

but i mill directly into my mash tun.....

Back