Howdy from Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qeelin

Reaction score
Greetings fellow homebrewers!

I haven't been brewing very long but I am completely hooked. I started in early 2009 and I'm only on my 5th batch (mainly because of money and limited storage). I started brewing because I can't stand mass produced, crappy American lite beer. I grew up and now live in a dry city in a mostly dry county so the extent of my beer tasting experience has been what I call "clear beer". Most of the people I know (including my father) only buy and drink mass market beer that I can't stomach. I thought I was destined to be a beer hater my whole life until a friend introduced me to "good" beer. I've never looked back!

Here's to many years of a great obsession!

Prosit!

welcome to a fellow texan! there are several dry counties and cities here, for some stupid reason. if you're in the dfw area, let me know if i can help get you parts or help you with your process

I live in Bowie (between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls). It's a small town (3500 people). I work in Denton but all the supplies and ingredients I use I got by mail. I know there are a couple of brew shops in the DFW area but I have yet to get to one. I would love to make the trip some day and take a couple of my beers. I know they are ok but I want to have someone take a sip and give me tips.

lumpher, do you belong to any clubs or homebrew groups?

Welcome! clubs and friends are the best place to get some one to taste your beer. As for tips and tricks this is the place for most of them. I have a book on brewing and it answered most of my questions on how to brew. "How To Brew" By John J. Palmer. it is a good book. If you ever go to down to the Houston area let me know.

Kevin

Welcome! clubs and friends are the best place to get some one to taste your beer. As for tips and tricks this is the place for most of them. I have a book on brewing and it answered most of my questions on how to brew. "How To Brew" By John J. Palmer. it is a good book. If you ever go to down to the Houston area let me know.

I own "The Complete Joy of Home Brewing" by Charlie Papazian and "How to Brew" by John J. Palmer. I love them both.

The only judges for beer taste that I know are my friends and most of them would be fine with Bud Light or Keystone. They enjoy good beer too but just don't have the taste that I need to improve on my beer. They've loved every beer I've brewed but that's not saying much. What's crazy is the worst beer I ever made (a Spiced Pumpkin Ale) they love and always mention it when we discuss what kind I should brew next.....rookies :drunk:

The only time I ever get close to Houston is when we go down to Texas Renaissance Festival every year. It runs eight weekends from October to Thanksgiving. The beer I'm brewing right now is for our trip down to TRF (William's Fireside Ale). It's in Plantersville, just NW of The Woodlands. Yes....I admit it.....I am a Rennie......AND PROUD OF IT! HUZZAH!

Prosit!

I own "The Complete Joy of Home Brewing" by Charlie Papazian and "How to Brew" by John J. Palmer. I love them both.

The only judges for beer taste that I know are my friends and most of them would be fine with Bud Light or Keystone. They enjoy good beer too but just don't have the taste that I need to improve on my beer. They've loved every beer I've brewed but that's not saying much. What's crazy is the worst beer I ever made (a Spiced Pumpkin Ale) they love and always mention it when we discuss what kind I should brew next.....rookies :drunk:

The only time I ever get close to Houston is when we go down to Texas Renaissance Festival every year. It runs eight weekends from October to Thanksgiving. The beer I'm brewing right now is for our trip down to TRF (William's Fireside Ale). It's in Plantersville, just NW of The Woodlands. Yes....I admit it.....I am a Rennie......AND PROUD OF IT! HUZZAH!

Prosit!

My wife, brother, and I will all be there opening weekend for Oktoberfest. We haven't missed a year in 7 years. Welcome to another obsession. :cross:

My wife, brother, and I will all be there opening weekend for Oktoberfest. We haven't missed a year in 7 years. Welcome to another obsession. :cross:

It's great to meat another Rennie (you do go in garb don't you?). We always go down with a big group (10 to 15). It's over 5 hours away but we think it's well worth the drive. We've been every year since '05. Visit our group's facebook page HERE. We plan to be down there this year the third weekend of October (the 16th & 17th), unless plans change. Huzzah!

It's great to meat another Rennie (you do go in garb don't you?). We always go down with a big group (10 to 15). It's over 5 hours away but we think it's well worth the drive. We've been every year since '05. Visit our group's facebook page HERE. We plan to be down there this year the third weekend of October (the 16th & 17th), unless plans change. Huzzah!

Yes, but sadly we are renters when we do. I live in The Woodlands so the drive to Magnolia is closer to an hour for us.

I live in Bowie (between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls). It's a small town (3500 people). I work in Denton but all the supplies and ingredients I use I got by mail. I know there are a couple of brew shops in the DFW area but I have yet to get to one. I would love to make the trip some day and take a couple of my beers. I know they are ok but I want to have someone take a sip and give me tips.

lumpher, do you belong to any clubs or homebrew groups?

yes, i do. i'm in Cap and Hare. we help organize and judge at the Bluebonnet Brew Off, and other competitions in the area. great bunch of guys who've taught me a lot. look us up. we meet the first tuesday of every month, at 7 pm, at the coors brewery at 35w and meacham blvd.

Back