Howdy from Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltboy1

Reaction score
Howdy y'all!
My name is Steve Daniel, and I started brewing in 1981, but I didn't become a serious brewer until about 1985. I eventually ended up doing all-grain mashes in an ice chest and boiling and fermenting in converted beer kegs. It was a LOT of work. After the craft beer explosion in the early 2000s, I started drinking more commercial beer, and brewing a lot less. That quickly evolved into not brewing at all. It took too much time and work to brew my own beer, and the selection and quality of craft beer was more than adequate to keep me happy.
My son started asking me about brewing a couple of years ago, but I didn't share his desire. Again, I didn't have the time or inclination to do all that hard work. About a month ago I stumbled upon a video for the Brewzilla system. The price and features sounded almost too good to be true. Then I found out about pressure fermenting, plastic conical fermenters with cooling coils, and all the rest of the new stuff. Two weeks later I was brewing a traditional ESB with my son with our new 65 liter system.
We are currently cold fermenting it in a Fermzilla equipped with a Twister. The cooling fluid is icewater pumped directly from an ice chest equipped with a copper coil and ice, of course. The pump is controlled with an Inkbird. I freeze gallon Ziplocs full of water and simply put a frozen bag in the cooler as needed. We will cold crash in the primary and pressure transfer to Corny kegs next week. We plan to brew a Northern Brown next weekend. A Munich Helles and a Pre-prohibition lager are next in line after that.
I'm blown away by how much easier it is to brew all-grain batches with the new equipment, and I look forward to drinking my own beer again. My son does too.

Last edited:
Welcome from a fellow Texan. I switched from a keggle/propane system a little over a year ago to a Mash and Boil with Pump, so I know what you mean about easier.

Whereabouts you from? We live in Santa Fe, between Houston and Galveston.
I just ordered a keg washer, so our next batch should be even easier. I feel like I could brew every week now. I'm pretty stoked.

Welcome from another 65L user! Love the machine! So much easier than lugging around gallons of hot water and wort to the fermentor!

Welcome from another 65L user! Love the machine! So much easier than lugging around gallons of hot water and wort to the fermentor!
Indeed. My son and I can hardly wait until our next session. We want to make a Sam Smith's Nut Brown clone.
I've been reading up on invert sugar and British brewing sugars, and it has been enlightening. I'm attempting to make some Invert #1 as we speak, but I'm doing it the lazy way with a jar of acidified sucrose syrup in a pressure cooker. Our first attempt on the stovetop caramelized a little. It was not very dark, but holy cow it was intense. If I can nail down the process I'm going to invert a pound of demerara sugar for the Brown.

UPDATE - Well, the pressure cooker experiment resulted in an even more intense, but less bitter dark caramel syrup. The flavor is really complex and rich like Tilburg's Dutch Brown Ale. This might be a keeper, but it's not what I was looking for. I'll have to do some more experimenting.

Last edited:
Back