How You's Doin'? From New Jersey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyJersey

Reaction score
Although I just registered on this website today, I've been reading a lot here for the last month or so. My interest in homebrewing was sparked by a video I accidentally came across on YouTube last summer. I started reading a lot about homebrewing, watched a bunch of videos on YouTube, and then eventually found this site. For the last 7-8 months, I've been waiting to actually jump into this world.

I've never partcipated in homebrewing and I don't know anyone who does, so my exposure and experience to this hobby is non-existant. Nonetheless, I'm ready to give it a try. For the last few days, I've been researching some "starter kits" and I'll be making my first purchase within the next few days. Any recommendations? At this point, I'm looking at one of the kits from AHS.

I'm in southern New Jersey, just a few miles outside of Philadelphia.

I was born and raised in New England and after college, I moved to New Jersey, so I can't claim any Jersey roots like some of the folks here. I've lived in south Jersey for 9+ years now, but I do a lot of work in north Jersey, and I will testify that it is two different states. North Jersey might as well be one big city. South Jersey actually reminds me of New England a bit, without the mountains.

Say what you will about New Jersey, but I love it. 10 miles from Philadelphia. 1 1/2 hours to NYC. Less than an hour to Atlantic City. 2 hours to the Poconos. 1 hour to the Jersey shore. And property taxes higher than you can ever imagine.

Anyway....any suggestions on a starter kit?

Yeah, get one with a 6gallon better bottle as the primary fermenter.

Brewmasterswarehouse.com:

Gold Beer Equipment Kit w/ Better Bottle

Includes True Brew Handbook, 7.8 gallon Fermenting Bucket, w/ D&G lid & bottling, spigot, True Brew Rack & Fill kit with Fermtech springless, filler, 6 gallon Better Bottle, Fermometer adhesive fermentation thermometer, Small Buon Vino Drilled Stopper, Hydrometer, Bottling Spigot, Emily Double Lever Capper, 3 Piece Airlock Bottle Brush, C-Brite Sanitizer 8-pack

$89.99/ea

As a person born and raised, and still living in North Jersey....let me add some clarification. Our former Governor McGreevy split the state into two distinct regions, North Jersey for the real men of NJ and South Jersey, for the gay Eagle fans. I'm not even going to get started on how much better the food is in North Jersey.....oh yeah...also the WAWA sucks...get yourself a 7-11 for christ sake.

On a side note, welcome. This is a very addicting hobby....I'm about to start my second batch on Saturday.

As long as we’re dividing the state up, you got to give the North West side of the state a break.
A lot closer to your NE roots than the Pinelands.

+1 on the Brewmasters Kit . . .

Welcome!

i work out of the cherry hill area and live in south jersey too. for your starter kit i would suggest going down rt 42 to beercrafters. their starter kit is good and cheap also. i would upgrade to the deluxe so you get the carboy along with it. i believe the whole thing is just under $100 with carboy and all. for directions take 295 south to 42 south and stay on 42 until the highway ends and it becomes commercial area. turn right at first traffic light (greentree rd) hang almost immediate left into beercrafters parking lot. their ingredients are a little pricey but the guy dave that works there is pretty knowledgable. i would highly suggest heading there. probably better off ordering ingredients online though through one of the many sites that you can find on this forum.

Wow. A north-south battle in my state? Game on.

Oh who am I kidding.... Born and raised in suburban Detroit, getting killed by taxes in NJ. Hey how about Corzine nixing the property tax rebate?

Welcome OP to the board. Looking forward to helping you out.

Well, it looks there are a few south Jersey homebrewers. I came across some information about The Gloucester County Brew Club, but I was wondering if there was anything else a bit closer? Perhaps any local clubs in Camden or Burlington counties?

Well, it looks there are a few south Jersey homebrewers. I came across some information about The Gloucester County Brew Club, but I was wondering if there was anything else a bit closer? Perhaps any local clubs in Camden or Burlington counties?

Hey from Mt. Laurel, (Rancocas Woods)
Beercrafters is pretty good
Also Princeton Homebrew is a cool shop.
No clubs in the immediate area
some one needs to start one up

Well, it looks like Beercrafters in Turnersville has received a few positive votes, so I'll try to get down there in the next week or two and purchase my starter kit.

It would be nice to see another local brew club in the area. I need a mentor.

Well, it looks like Beercrafters in Turnersville has received a few positive votes, so I'll try to get down there in the next week or two and purchase my starter kit.

It would be nice to see another local brew club in the area. I need a mentor.

Before you head to beer crafters for a kit, give them a call and make sure they have them in stock. I went there 2 weeks ago to get one, and they were out, said they'd be in on tuesday. I called on tuesday, still none, called on thursday, said it'd be a week or two. i went to Home Sweet Homebrew on Samson last friday and they claim to always have kits in stock. I suggest checking them out. I got their deluxe kit, which came with a carboy for $90

I just made my first batch with it last friday, and it's going along great, thanks to my brother's help (johnnybutt35).

oh, and North Jersey is dirty and smells like a toilet, wawa is awesome. Phillies are World Champions

edit to add, I'm from Medford, Shawnee class of 99 (saw a lenape '98 post)

Welcome!

Girlfriend is from Pennsauken, NJ. Been there quite a few times. I have a strong love for People's Pizza up there.

As a person born and raised, and still living in North Jersey....let me add some clarification. Our former Governor McGreevy split the state into two distinct regions, North Jersey for the real men of NJ and South Jersey, for the gay Eagle fans. I'm not even going to get started on how much better the food is in North Jersey.....oh yeah...also the WAWA sucks...get yourself a 7-11 for christ sake.

On a side note, welcome. This is a very addicting hobby....I'm about to start my second batch on Saturday.

I would have to concur with this statement...especially the part about Eagles fans being gay.:D

Back