How would you brew this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjf474

Reaction score
"Sour IPA with raw wheat, malted oat, milk sugar, white chocolate, vanilla & cardamom, hopped with Citra powder."

If you were told, this is what is in this particular beer, what would your proportions of ingredients be? How would you add white chocolate? ...in the mash? Cardamom amount? That's probably very strong and may only need a little. This was a Hudson Valley Brewery beer. I loved it and want to create something similar. I know they blend in barrel aged sours, which makes it next to impossible to duplicate, but I just want something similar. I plan on making a few small 1 gallon test batches with different amounts of everything "dry-hopped" in, etc.
Thoughts?

That sounds insane.

But what I would do is make a kettle sour with that mash bill, maybe 80% base malt, 10% each of the wheat and oats (I’ve found raw wheat at health food stores btw, I don’t think most homebrew shops have it, or just used flakes wheat). No hops at this point. Mash and boil in kettle, pitch some goodbelly and let it go at 80F for a day. Taste and make sure it got tart. Bring back up to boil if you want to kill the lacto, add a little charge of flameout hops but might not be necessary depending on how big of a dry hop charge. 1 Pound of lactose at flameout. Transfer and Pitch some clean or English yeast, add 2 vanilla beans and small amount of cardamom, maybe like 5 pods for a 5 gallon batch but I have no idea (I used about 5 pods in a 1 gallon cider once and it was wayyyyy too strong, thinking this ought to be a background component). I think the vanilla and white chocolate are redundant as adding actual white chocolate will contribute a lot of fat, adding oils and killing head retention. Plus what does white chocolate taste like in a beer? Vanilla.

Dry hop as normal. Maybe 2-3 oz of citra powder is what I’d do.

But who knows. It’s basically just a milkshake ipa that has been kettle soured.

Back