How to use water profile in beer Smith 3

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have lab report and added my local tap water profile. I am not seeing how to get beer Smith to spit out adjustments for me.
Where do I add my desired water profile?
Thanks for any help

I've been using BeerSmith for years but have never created anything using a phone or tablet. Always use the pc.
So I'm not sure how that works, but on the pc, every recipe has a "Water" tab where all the magic happens.

You create a profile for your base water (in my case, RO) with the pertinent chemistry numbers (from your water test), add the amount of water necessary for the batch (which will also show up at the top of your Design page), decide what actual brewing water profile you want to use (click the "Match a target Profile" button towards the right side of the page and pick one from the pop-up list box), and at that point BrewSmith will generate the additions needed to hit that chosen profile.

I do not actually use this BeerSmith function but do compare it against my Bru'n Water spreadsheet just out of curiosity. With the notable exception of acid additions they do tend to be in sync...

Cheers!

I only own a pixel 4a5g phone and a pixel book. (Google's chrome OS chromebook)
Am I outta luck on getting bs3 to do water calculations for me?
I've been tooling around the app and cannot find anything to save my life

I only own a pixel 4a5g phone and a pixel book. (Google's chrome OS chromebook)
Am I outta luck on getting bs3 to do water calculations for me?
I've been tooling around the app and cannot find anything to save my life

I don't believe the mobile version provides the adjustments like the pc/mac versions do unfortunately. Looking arount the internet seems like it doesn't. Get yourself a copy of Bru'n Water...excellent program that I've found to be pretty spot on.

Brad emailed me back and said he's working on it.
If I have beersmith 3 on mobile so I have to pay to DL onto a mac? I was trying to avoid using my wife's computer...
Also where/how do I buy bru'n water?
Not seeing it on play store for android

Bru'n Water is a spreadsheet. I'm pretty sure there's no standalone app. Well, the Excel app or maybe a compatible Excel clone app might work.

Bru'n Water is a spreadsheet. I'm pretty sure there's no standalone app. Well, the Excel app or maybe a compatible Excel clone app might work.
I've seen a bunch of these spreadsheet based calculators and I hate using them on my phone
Hurts my eyes to even look!
I'll deal with all the cumbersome online calculators until it gets added to beersmith mobile.
First world problems, right?

I cannot wait for someone to swoop in and solve all of our problems!
For bs3 you have to buy the full pc and mobile versions separately! Lol. WUT?
and the mobile is severely handicapped.
All these other "apps" are cumbersome excel spreadsheets.
I looked at brewfather and really don't like it.
I'm sure somebody will step up shortly to but the void right now in the software market is grand canyon HUGE.
Buncha Garbage.

Brad emailed me back and said he's working on it.
If I have beersmith 3 on mobile so I have to pay to DL onto a mac? I was trying to avoid using my wife's computer...

I just spent some time looking at the mobile version on my iPhone. I see that you can choose a water profile but you can not match that profile to a target.

Yes, you will have to pay for the desktop separately. There is a free 21 day trial period if you just want to try it out (or upload a few key data points to the cloud then add them to the mobile app before the trial expires)

If I had to do things over again I would never have spent the money for the mobile version. While it is slowly getting better it has never had the full function of the desktop. Which makes a bit of sense when you consider that when it was created it was intended to be only a companion to the desktop.

Yeah, I'm especially letdown as I only use the mobile and only want to use the mobile app.
I don't write code, but I assume modern mobile OSs should easily be able to support full functionality. At any rate, Brad said he hopes to have the water matching added this spring. I'll just figure out each batch individually until then.
Y'all are gonna cringe, but up until now I've just added a couple shakes of gypsum to hoppy stuff.
I think that a lot of these programs being windows based or just straight excel sheets just shows how old they are.
Time will fix this.
I looked at brewfather, but really didn't like the layout. Web based or just a phone app is how I see things going forward

Back