How to use hops in extract brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vivee45

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know how to use hops in extract brewing?? By that I mean when the recipe asks to boil, do you boil it in with the wort that you have dissolved from a can or boil is separately then add it to the wort?

It goes right into the boiling wort. The times given in the recipes are boil times. So if for example you have a 60 minute boil with the following hop additions:

Hops1(60 min.)
Hops2(45 min.)
Hops3(15 min.)

You will add Hops1 as soon as your boil starts (boiling for 60 minutes).
You will add Hops2 15 minutes in (boiling for 45 minutes).
You will add Hops3 45 minutes in (boiling for 15 minutes).

Once your wort gets to a rolling boil, you would then add your hops, in accordance with your hop schedule. The other way you mentioned is called a "hop tea", I've never done that, so I cant comment on it. So yes, the hops and the wort get boiled together, and become great friends.

Hop teas aren't bad,but adding the hops to boiling wort is a bit better. And DO NOT use pre-hopped extracts in the boil! It destroys the designed in hop profile. Only use plain (un-hopped) extract in the boil. My hop addition tims,on average,are 60,20,10. Dry hop for aroma.

Back