how to use a hydrometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jpeverini

Reaction score
Hi guys, before you say it. I tried to search, but didn't really find anything useful.

If any of you out there have a useful link or can point me in the right direction on anywhere I can figure out to how to use a hydrometer, I would appreciate it.

Right now, I know that it is used to determine the alcohol percentage and to figure out when the fermentation has stopped (correct me if I am wrong), but how to use it for any of those purposes, I am lost.

I have a batch in primary, so I assume it is too late to use now, because i think you need to do a before/after test. But I really want to UNDERSTAND what I am drinking and use it as a diagnostic tool.

Thanks for the help beer'migos!

Great, I will take a look there. I figure, beer is an art and can be done solely by feel, or for those less artistic souls (ME), by measuring and taking readings.

Thanks for the help.

Great, I will take a look there. I figure, beer is an art and can be done solely by feel, or for those less artistic souls (ME), by measuring and taking readings.

Thanks for the help.

Beer is wholly art AND science. A gift from the gods!

I just nerd out on the science. :mug:

Even if you don't have the Original Gravity reading, it's not too late to start using a hydrometer, actually. The hydrometer can tell you when fermentation is finished, by taking regular readings on consecutive days. If the reading is the same for three consecutive days, then it means that primary fermentation has finished - as long as it's less than 1.020 (for a "normal" beer that starts less than 1.070 - most pre-packaged kits will finish less than 1.015, if not 1.010). If it's much higher than that, you may have a stuck fermentation and need to take some corrective action. But don't mess with it otherwise!

However, just because the hydrometer reading indicates that it's done with primary fermentation, that doesn't mean you need to immediately bottle! At that point, it's safe (and usually better for the beer) if you just leave the beer in the primary for another week so that the yeast can clean up after themselves and continue to drop out of solution - it makes for clearer beer.

had to change it a bit. hydrometers also tell you if your making a beer that is "off the reservstion" as i was told when my cream ale og was 1080.

nothing wrong with a 1080 OG, just can't call it a cream ale. Sorta like calling a beer with flavor Bud Light.

Back