How to Take apart a corny? With cool find.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djanvk

Reaction score
Ok so here is the story.

I have a local pizzaria/Italian food joint here and noticed that there was a corny keg and a large co2 take on the side of the buiding. So I asked about it and it turned out to be left over from when they used Coke over a Year ago. I asked the owner if I could buy it off of them, and she just gave them to me.

Ok are there any tutorial on how to take the top off of a corny keg? I think it's a ball lock? There is a ball on the top. Now it does say Guiness on the side of the keg also, so not sure what it looks like inside.

Thanks.

if it says guinness on the side, i'm willing to bed it is a sanke keg. there are a number of homebrewers who use them, but the majority of brewers use the 5 gallon soda keg with removable lid. the sanke keg has a spear and ball setup that you need to remove and reattach. you will also need a sanke tap coupler made for your keg. i believe the guinness coupler is different than the 'standard' us 'D' coupler. i could be wrong on that though.

also, check the date on the co2 tank, if the most recent date is over 5 years ago, you will also need to get the tank hydrotested.

all in all though, that's still a nice score!

Are there sanke kegs that that look like the smooth silver corny kegs? Not the bigger dull aluminum kegs.

Djanvk said:
Are there sanke kegs that that look like the smooth silver corny kegs? Not the bigger dull aluminum kegs.

They don't make Alum kegs anymore they are all stainless, just for informational purposes. More than likely what you have is a 1/6th barrel keg. if it is the same diameter as a corney (or coke keg) and the same hight then it is a 1/6th barrel, not much use to the homebrewer, but you can take it to a micro and see if they will fill it for you.

Kegs-new-431x161.jpg

Cheers

Ok here are the pictures of the top of the keg I was able to get. Looks like it was welded, can I do anything with it?

2058459594_f37e069fab_o.jpg

Here it is with the CO2 tank

2058459506_9cfcc6086d_o.jpg

Hmmm, looks like a corny that was converted to a sanke style head. I suppose you could keg in it but then you'd need a sanke connector. It's really not ideal if you plan to keg more than one beer.

Well thats not to good of news. Yea I noticed the welding around what the pin lock would of been.

Alaskan companies like to do that to make it much harder for others to use. Getting and keeping those kegs is a priority.

Cut the top off and buy a new reg style?

Yea I'm probably going to just buy a different one, I don't have anything to do any welding. It does say foster's on the side though. Well at least I got a free 20lb co2 tank.

There is a snap ring of sorts that holds the valve in. It has to be removed and then the valve/siphon tube comes out. Also check the certification date on that CO2 cylinder. If it was more than 5 years ago, you'll need to have it hydro tested or refill places won't go near it.

before you try to take off the snap ring, MAKE SURE to release the pressure inside the keg, otherwise you could have a spear blown into your face. you can see how this could quickly become a dangerous situation.

You can first rack your beer into a conventional ball lock corney, then transfer under pressure to the Sanke keg. You'll need a Sanke tap however, but you'll need one anyway to dispense the beer from this keg.

More potential bad news,

That CO2 tank in addition to being out of date may belong to Coca Cola. Coke loaned them to vendors so they aren't the vendors to give away. A lot of CO2 companies won't test it or fill it up for you if it belongs to Coke

Djanvk said:
Well thats not to good of news. Yea I noticed the welding around what the pin lock would of been.

The good news is you got that tank for free! Assuming its in working condition, thats a great find :mug:

Unless it is stamped with Coke's branding - you could just cleanit up with a paint stripper chemical - Goof Off or something like that.

Kilroy

Ok got it open, old fosters sprayed all over my face when I released the pressure.

Now I have the tube in the middle, and a metal flat spring like thing that held it in.

So if I want to use it how the hell do I seal it back up if I want to condition or use as a Keg?

Thanks for all the help so far.:rockin:

Is this what I have to use?

Keg Coupler

abracadabra said:
More potential bad news,

That CO2 tank in addition to being out of date may belong to Coca Cola. Coke loaned them to vendors so they aren't the vendors to give away. A lot of CO2 companies won't test it or fill it up for you if it belongs to Coke

Coke charges deposits for these types of items so that they are paid for in case they never get them back. I think we paid like an $80 deposit for the larger ones a few years back.

Anyway, I could have sworn I have seen several places selling Sanke to xx adapters. Perhaps an adapter will get you to the proper threads.

Back