how to strip with stainless steel sleeve on thermocouple wire

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take a exacto knife with a pointed end and split the braid down the middle to length. You don't need to do both sides, just one. It will take a few tries. Then I peel it back and trim the sleeve with fingernail clippers. As for the thermocoupler wires I again use the exacto knife and peel the covering off to the desired length and trim again with fingernail clipper. I don't think a automatic wire stripper would be useful. It would be to rough and damage the wire.

Im sure there are a hundred ways to do it. This is one that works for me.

I take a exacto knife with a pointed end and split the braid down the middle to length. You don't need to do both sides, just one. It will take a few tries. Then I peel it back and trim the sleeve with fingernail clippers. As for the thermocoupler wires I again use the exacto knife and peel the covering off to the desired length and trim again with fingernail clipper. I don't think a automatic wire stripper would be useful. It would be to rough and damage the wire.

Im sure there are a hundred ways to do it. This is one that works for me.

Thanks mate. I've also discovered a nail can be used to slowly unbraid the metal sleeving.

apropos question. I just got some of that wire to set up my franken build controller, which is an auber cube witth the DSPR output control circuit routed outside the box to a male and female plug. I can plug them together for normal operation or I can run the output line from my craftbeerpi controller to the plug that goes to the SSR to control with the pi. All this is so that I can use automated control of my 240v induction unit for mashing.

I did one wire and really struggled with stripping the outer part. I'll give this a try.

Back