How to strip aluminum bottles for re-use...a guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My only drawback for 1 liter plastic bottles is that I tend to get yeast in my bottles (lazy) so if I can't pour everything in one go it will end up murky. Therefore, the 16oz bottles holding flavored water are my faves. They come in 6packs for 3.50.

Its also fascinating to watch beer change color over time. What starts out golden straw might turn to orange-brown within a few weeks. Just interesting to see what's in the bottle.

Wont the heat and/or pressure mess up the lining of the bottle?

i remember this one! he said no, he got at least 7-8 uses at least with no visible signs....i think? or am i getting my threads confused now? lol

hey i got scolded ;) :mug: lol

i think this thread is just so intriguing that, it's gone off the rails....
. I have reused these types of bottles upwards of 8 times and have not had any of the inner coating come off...at least to my knowledge.

and far as caps go, i think you need to find the tech-no bable way to search for them,,,like mearing MM diameter and thread stuff, and things....

Ah! Missed that tidbit in the OP...

The linings are baked on, I think... so they were heat-proof originally... Not sure I'd trust 'em w/out a little more research in how the linings hold up... I already get enough aluminum and BPA in my diet:bigmug:

I'd hate to admit (again)... I still like Steel Reserve, at times...

I've also been saving some Steel Reserve (plastic) bottles for some future use...
But, for some (yet unexplained) reason they've become semi-opaque, and brittle, crackling dangerously when squeezed. They've ended up in the recycling bin (for now).

Back