How to solve temp gradient from bottom=>top of keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NBABUCKS1

Reaction score
So I've got a keezer that I have quite the collar on. See the pictures.

31115_625139029617_40601778_35752877_7224720_n.jpg

As you can see there is quite the collar. The second Collar was necessary because I wanted three kegs and the third keg is on the hump.

Anyway the temp gradient is enormous from top to bottom. It can be pretty cool at the bottom and a good 15-20 more degrees at the top. This results in incredibly foamy beer due to the warm beer lines.

So I try setting the thermostat to the kegerator near the top and set it for 40 degrees. This results in frozen kegs.

So I try installing a fan for circulation...this is having little effect. Still 15-20 degrees warmer on top......

Grrr..is there anything I can do to keep those beer lines on top chilled?

31115_625139059557_40601778_35752881_487321_n.jpg

31115_625139059557_40601778_35752881_487321_n.jpg

you can see the computer fan for circulation.

It looks like you wouldn't get much airflow through that fan with where it is mounted. I would relocate it to the lower portion of the bottom collar so that it is closer to the area that is actively cooled and roughly in the center of the combined freezer area.

If that does not prove assistance I would put another fan on the opposite side, blowing in the opposite direction, to create a circular air current within the keezer.

Finally, if you have not insulated your collar you may want to do that to help keep the temperature stable.

yup fan further down or maybe insulate your beer lines.

Thanks guys..I'll give it a shot.

Also kinda an off topic question. So my kegs pretty much frooze solid and I left them out to thaw for a 4 or so hours. I pulled a beer out of the one keg that would flow. Didn't taste right.

However, I don't even remember going to bed last night .....I was LIT. And this was on only a few beers.

Does alcohol concentrate in the liquid portions as it has a lower freezing point. IE the pints that I pulled could have had a higher ABV?

Back