How to Skim Mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToledoBeer

Reaction score
I made a cofee porter from the following recipe and as I took a peek into the primary there is a definite layer of mold on top. I took a sample with a sanitized cup and strained it through a paper towel and it tasted awesome.

According to Palmer's book, you can just skim the mold off the top as long as your beer still tastes good. Any ideas on good techniques for this? I'm going to bottle this weekend and while I could filter the whole thing through sanitized paper towel and a funnel it would probably take my entire weekend. Although I think it would be worth it as good as this beer is tasting right now. Thanks!

lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 70.0 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.0 %
1 lbs Special Roast (50.0 SRM) Grain 3 10.0 %
8.0 oz Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.0 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 5 5.0 %
1.00 oz Willamette [5.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 19.4 IBUs
2.0 pkg Scottish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1728) [124.21 ml] Yeast 7 -
16 oz cofee grounds in Mash

If you have a beer or wine making store nearby that rents the Mini Jet filter you could rack it off the sediment, filter it twice with increasingly fine filters and repitch yeast for bottle conditioning.

Yes. The sediment in the bottom will clog the filters so you want to avoid that, and the mold (is it really mold--I'm not so sure) should be left behind as much as possible too.

Latest posts

Back