How to seal a 3" opening???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb444

Reaction score
OK...so I built myself a 20l apple press out of a vice screw and made 8 UK gallons of cider...then realised I had nothing to use as a secondary.
I had 3 1 gallon jars, and picked up from a flea market (get them in the USA?) a 20l glass jar that had a 3" wide top (not precise) and actually turned out to hold the last 5 gallons and had maybe 3/4 gallon air above.
For lack of a 3" bung I put 2 layers of cling wrap over the top, and stabbed a couple of holes in it with a pin, then put a plastic food bag over the top and held it tightly (but not airtight) with an elastic band.
Do people think this will seal it well enough once it has stopped releasing gas completely?
Any better ideas of how to seal it??
I intend to bottle it at christmas so it'll be 3 months and I want to be sure it will be safe for that time.
Thanks,
Chris
Also, any UK cider makers...what kind of sg do you get from the apples you pick?
Edit:also...didnt put it in the cider forum since it didnt really seem to be a question about cider, the second question was an afterthought

I think it'll be fine.

You could us a balloon as well and vent it now and again.

I have also seen pictures here of condoms and rubber goves being used.

olllllo said:
I have also seen pictures here of condoms and rubber goves being used.

Tell us more.:cross:

Try to find the aproppriate size bung to seal it, and get an airlock on it, you'll have less of a chance of infection.

jb444 said:
cool thanks...might try a balloon
Ya im kinda done with the condom thing too... ya know unless the SWMBO decides to find another path in life LOL
If it were me I would order a 3" stopper and get an airlock on it if I were going to let it sit that long
JJ

mmm i've found somewhere (relatively) local that might have a 3" bung, but its made from natural cork, so I doubt I could get a hole in it that will seal with an airlock

paulthenurse said:
How to seal a 3" opening???

Use an ex girlfriends name?
You kind of beat me to the wisecracking - I was going to use the old "ham" standby...sleeve it...

Back