how to sanatize paint straining sack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithnick0

Reaction score
I will be using a 5 gallon straining sack for putting strawberries in my secondary here in a couple weeks. How do i sanatize the sack when i put it in with the strawberries?

Boiling water would do the trick. How are you sanitizing the berries?

Why not dip the berries in starsan for 1 min??? Probably not needed though, rinse them and stick 'em in. The alcohol in your brew will take care of anything else...

I'm sure I'll be corrected if im wrong, but it's always a good idea to pasteurize them. Create a jam by smashing them and then heat that up to about 140 for 20 minutes.

You could pasteurize them, however this would cause a really bad pectin haze. I would recomend washing your berries really good, then cut off the tops and place in fermenter...you dont want to cut off the tops before you wash them, because you will be exposing more surface area to what contaminates are already on the berries.

Back