How to position shield for Blichmann boilermaker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemman14

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a Blichmann floor standing burner to use with my Blichmann boilermaker pot for brewing. On my previous burner I had no issue positioning the shield so that it protected the valve handle, sight glass, and thermometer from heat. With the floor standing burner I cannot seem to position it in such a way to protect these parts. Does anyone have some tips? I finally just said screw it and let the liquid in my sight glass boil. If anyone has some pics it would be of great help!

I have a Blichmann burner & pot, and don't really have much issue with it. I will see if I can remember to take pics on my next brewday (should be Sunday).

I have a Blichmann burner & pot, and don't really have much issue with it. I will see if I can remember to take pics on my next brewday (should be Sunday).

That would be great, I only have one brew so far with the new burner and it was a bit frustrating. I am sure after some trial and error I will be able to figure it out but some pics would be great. The dang arms on the burner kept getting in the way

In my experience I find it works best to position the kettle so that the ball valve is positioned right in between two of the supports (obviously not directly above where the gas connection is for the burner, but one of the three remaining sides). I wedge the heat shield underneath just one of the supports with as little of the shield underneath the kettle as possible. For me it has blocked the flame pretty well. Early on, I did melt a handle, but since I figured out the optimal position of the shield I have had no issues.

EDIT: Added a photo since the text may be unclear. Yes, it's on a TopTier, but the concept is the same.

NOTE: I wedge the shield under the left side support so that it protects the sight gauge

8388251550_35e9561d9e.jpg

Similar to ^^^ I position my Boilermaker so a vertical line drawn between the sight gauge and the ball valve/Brewmometer is centered between two burner legs. But then I position the provided stainless sheet so the two inside corners are pinched between the kettle and two pot supports.

This keeps heat off all three components well enough that after a couple of years all of the vinyl covers on my kettles are still pristine...

Cheers!

In my experience I find it works best to position the kettle so that the ball valve is positioned right in between two of the supports (obviously not directly above where the gas connection is for the burner, but one of the three remaining sides). I wedge the heat shield underneath just one of the supports with as little of the shield underneath the kettle as possible. For me it has blocked the flame pretty well. Early on, I did melt a handle, but since I figured out the optimal position of the shield I have had no issues.

EDIT: Added a photo since the text may be unclear. Yes, it's on a TopTier, but the concept is the same.

NOTE: I wedge the shield under the left side support so that it protects the sight gauge

8388251550_35e9561d9e.jpg

Ah ok, this makes sense. I will try this on my next brew.

Back