How to plug in my Ranco one stage???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krisagon

Reaction score
Hi folks, I bought the pre-wired Ranco Temp controller (Yeah, I'm that kind of guy), and am not sure how to plug it in. My plan is to control a fermwrap style heater with it.

Essentially the Ranco I got has two male AC plugs. Obviously one goes into the wall outlet.

My question is on the other plug - how do I connect the Fermwrap male end to the other male end on the Ranco???

I went to Home Depot, and couldn't find a thing to put two of these together. :(

AC_Male_Plug_Series_American_JJA_1_-1.jpg
+
AC_Male_Plug_Series_American_JJA_1_-1.jpg
= :confused:

$%$, yeah that's what I thoght. I bought it at Brewmaster's warehouse, so I'll see if I can get it exchanged. Thanks man.

Yeah, it is kind of funny, really... I was kind of secretly hoping someone would make fun of me for trying to connect two male ends together.

You can always give it a sex change operation yourself. Hack off the male end and put on a female. You can get the "girl parts" at any hardware store. May be cheaper and quicker than sending it back.

Well you see when mommy and daddy love each other very much , they plug in together, whoooo i mean daddy and daddy.....that's pretty funny!

How would you figure out which male gets plugged in? If plugged in from the wrong side something bad could happen?

How would you figure out which male gets plugged in? If plugged in from the wrong side something bad could happen?

plugging in the wrong one SHOULDN'T cause any harm to the device.

it's essentially just a light-switch. when the controller says "go", the wires on one side are connected to the wires on the other side.

But... it should be easy to tell which is the proper "male" end. If you plug in the wrong one, it won't turn on because the controller itself needs to draw current from the "always on" side of the switch.

Please note that if you plug it in (the right way) and the controller thinks the power needs to be passing through the switch, then it means that the second male connector is LIVE. It will be a 120V cattle probe, so don't touch it.

another thing you could do is send them a pic and tell them that it was wired in this screwy way. ask for a refund of the price difference between the pre-wired and the un-wired version.

then fix it (cutting off 2nd male end and replacing with a female end) and go about your business.

UPDATE:

I emailed Brewmaster's Warehouse about the problem. Here's their response!

I am sorry about the wrong plug having been wired into your Ranco. Someone must of had too many beers while working, just kidding of course. I will email you a return label for the Ranco. Ship it back to us and we will get it exchanged and sent back to you.

Sorry,

Ed

These guys got back to me within a few hours and shipped me a FedEx return label!
Great store, for real! :mug:

Back