How to make your homebrew taste better

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reelale

Reaction score
Don't buy any beer. Just drink your homebrew. Soon, it will be the best beer you've tasted in a long time.

Well that's just a sad assessment. But, if that's the best you've done, I guess you'll just have to be happy with it.

Still sad, though...

I brew pretty good beer. I also buy pretty good beer. I'm just stating what I've found to be the case. I'll be the first to admit that most, if not all of my beers don't equal the quality of some of the finer craft brews I've tried. Close, but not quite. So, when I want my beer to taste better, I simply don't taste any other beers. It works.

So denying yourself good beer makes your homebrew better? This is not improving your beer but lowering your standards. I buy the best beer I can find and then strive to brew beers to that level. I'm not there yet but getting close.

I buy commercial beer when I dine out. Local only. Too frugal. I love my beer. Most times I knock it out of the park. Not always. But even my worst attempts I've felt like i have bought worse. Brew on!

My approach is quite the opposite. I get an idea for a future batch and try a few commercial samples of a similar style. Then I think to myself, how can I make something better?

Just as I thought I had perfected my IPA recipe for my liking, I tried a commercial IPA I hadn't tried before and instantly wondered how I could tweak my recipe to create the same level of smooth bitterness as that one.

Personally, I would never stop drinking commercial beer. I do buy it less often, and it's mostly for research purposes. Or at least, that's what I tell my wife ;)

My Favorites column on untappd has 2 commercial brews and the rest are my brands of home brew.

Latest posts

Back