How to label faucets when you have 8 beers on tap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We haven't gotten to the stage where we pick finishes, but here are some inspirational pictures to show what I think when I say "modern bar":

modern-home-bar-designs-1.jpg

modern-bar-area-at-The-Opposite-House-Hotel.jpg

3630373079_ca97f607ff_o.jpg

A lot of darker colours, natural stone/wood/metal/etc. Straight lines.
Not modern as in retro plastic stuff with lots of curves.

Interesting. It would be narrow.

Any ideas where to get them? I suppose I could make them pretty easily. Buy some exotic wood, cut & stain, then stick a stainless ferrule on the end.

Kal
That looks like a bar in a hotel lobby.

I found a picture of something similar to your granite handles in wood. It looks quite uniform - not sure that I ultimately like it though (don't know why). But I would assume the granite would look similar. I think you would have to get use to pouring beer by grabbing the top of the handle only as it doesn't look like there is much room to grab the sides.

Other than granite you could look at concrete, polished or not (sounds funny but its a popular material for many contemporary artists/designers), perhaps glass or incorporate a sheet of lexan with an etched number or letter on it.

Strand%20Tap%20Handles%20550.jpg

I'm out of ideas, back to work. Good luck!

i have a friend that can engrave wood, metal, synthetics or even glass with a laser engraver. pm me for the info if you want it. just email her the jpg and mail the wood if you have it picked out, or she can get the wood, whatever. she did the top of my tapper

tapper small.jpg

Yup, they're probably hotel bars. Just trying to show the modern style we like (straight lines, lots of natural wood/stone/etc products), that's all. I'm not building a hotel bar in the basement. (At least I don't think I am).

That said, I've seen a lot of nice hotel bars. Or at least it's a style I like. I'm not a big fan of the traditional UK/Irish pub look. Different strokes like the previous poster mentioned.

Kal

onthekeg said:
I'm in the hotel all week. The last thing I want is a bar at home that looks the same. Different strokes for different folks.:)

I like it. Can't wait to see the real deal.

Kal, I think based on your style, the tap handles are a hassle and would not be ascetically balanced for the setup. Keep the normal (black) handles which looks sleek with the chrome tubing.

Then, you should build a digital menu that you can change as you rotate the beer selection. The digital (display) menu would be low key. It would give you something new to design and build.

I like that, perhaps with the 1-8 pool balls screwed into the top and a chalk board behind to list the selection. Usually simple ends up best.

How about setting up an LED flat screen behind the taps. Run it to a computer where you can run a slide show of the different beers on tap (say.. 8 scrolling screens). Each screen will show information about the beer and perhaps a picture of the tap handle that leads to the beer being advertised on the screen. Have 8 unique handles that are modern, stylish and unique. Or have numbered tap handles..

Perhaps even a screen that is sectioned off in 8 columns. Thus allotting room behind each tap handle for a picture and info.

Just a suggestion.

I was thinking perhaps having the Blue Angels fly overhead and write what the beers are in the sky.

Now you have me thinking about tap handles again...

I like the exotic wood handles as well. When it comes to the bar i believe in the KISS philosophy. I bought some funny taps handles and I find I prefer the straight forward clean looking types (as does the wife).

I like the exotic wood handles as well. When it comes to the bar i believe in the KISS philosophy. I bought some funny taps handles and I find I prefer the straight forward clean looking types (as does the wife).
+1

While it's not always the case, when it comes to bars simpler is also usually cheaper too, so I guess I lucked out in the regard as I like simple clean lines. A really ornate custom bar with a ton of woodwork is not cheap.

Kal

The order from Micromatic arrived:

basement_May14_2012_2.jpg

I knew the boxes would be big, but I wasn't prepared for how big. The wide angle lens on the camera is deceptive. The larger box on the right is nearly 4 feet long.

The 8-tap tower was well packaged and protected (spray foam is used to conform to the shape of the product):

basement_May14_2012_3.jpg

basement_May14_2012_4.jpg

basement_May14_2012_5.jpg

The product lines are all stainless, the glycol lines are copper. Both have barbed ends that have been welded on:

basement_May14_2012_6.jpg

Trunk line (8 product lines + 2 glycol lines):

basement_May14_2012_7.jpg

Glycol only trunk line:

basement_May14_2012_9.jpg

Drip tray with integrated glass rinser:

basement_May14_2012_8.jpg

Stout faucets:

basement_May14_2012_10.jpg

Inside the black shaft you can see the little restrictor plate with tiny holes. The beer is pushed through this plate which knocks out carbonation creating that nice creamy thick head that goes well with certain beer styles, Guiness of course being the most well known:

basement_May14_2012_11.jpg

Two of the taps will be stout faucets for serving with C02/Nitrogen blend, the other 6 will be regular Perlick taps served with straight C02.

I tested the new tap tower to make sure that there aren't any leaks given that it's completely welded together and not really serviceable.

So I attached the tower temporarily to a piece of OSB that happens to already have a perfect cutout, then attached all of the faucets, filled a keg with water, set the pressure to various pressures from 5 to 20 PSI, and then pushed water through each of the faucets one by one:

basement_Jun3_2012_3.jpg

basement_Jun3_2012_4.jpg

basement_Jun3_2012_5.jpg

Worked great. No leaks at all.

Kal

Hi

Based on how great that looks so far, there's only one proper way to identify the taps:

You need a 65" high def TV screen behind the bar to display the info on...

Bob

Hi

Based on how great that looks so far, there's only one proper way to identify the taps:

You need a 65" high def TV screen behind the bar to display the info on...

Bob

Nah, not for me. Someone suggested this earlier and I wrote:

I'm not big on the idea of a powered display for the following reasons:

(1) You have to basically keep it on all the time when you think you may want beers and with a home theater screen around the corner it just wouldn't work (you do not want any extraneous light).
(2) Extra work. You have to turn it on/off to see what's available. Not to mention you have to program it, etc.
(3) Extra power, not very environmentally friendly.
(4) To each their own but I find it a bit cheesy. I would either look like segment LEDs, neon lights, or a flat panel display. All of which I don't think would look that nice. But that's just me. Others may say the same about a chalkboard.

No point in a 65" TV for watching movies/sports either when around the corner is a 10 foot screen. Why would I want to watch something ~4 times smaller? ;)

Kal

My ADD is at a all time high this morning, so I didn't read the whole thread, but was attracted to the shiny metal objects. So sorry if this doesn't fit or has been brought up before.

How about a nice, wooden shelf that spans the length of the taps with a beer bottle behind each tap with the beers label? You could even make it easy on yourself by laying the bottle down, pouring some epoxy in it and glue some magnets inside the bottle and have magnetic labels so they can be swapped out. That would be handy so you can permanently affix the bottles to the shelf so they can be close to the taps without worry of being knocked over or knocked around.

If you felt like it, you could recess the bottles inside the wall and add lighting to bring out a more modern theme?

That's a beautiful tap system.

Or, which would look trick but would hurt resale if you plan to, have a glass blower or someone who knows how to work well with glass, bevel the bottom of the bottles so they fit perfectly on top of the actual tap pipe, and affix some bombers behind each tap handle. That might be too close though.

How about a nice, wooden shelf that spans the length of the taps with a beer bottle behind each tap with the beers label?
But that would require me to create labels for all the beers I make. That sounds too much like work. ;) (I don't bottle or make labels).

Kal

But that would require me to create labels for all the beers I make. That sounds too much like work. ;) (I don't bottle or make labels).

Kal

Hi

Tap sized labels are pretty easy. You can get 8x10 sheets of paper with "peal and stick" adhesive on it and the labels already cut in various sized circles / ovals / squares / rectangles. They also come in different colors. I use them for labeling grain and flour containers. They run through a laser printer or an ink jet.

Bob

I think 'phoenixs4r' meant making actual beer labels. Not just simple numbers or plain text.

The work I was talking about was the design work in having to create beer labels (the graphic design element), not the actual printing part.

The printing part is easy. Coming up with a label like this for me is not:

summer_beer_label.jpg

Kal

I think 'phoenixs4r' meant making actual beer labels. Not just simple numbers or plain text.

The work I was talking about was the design work in having to create beer labels (the graphic design element), not the actual printing part.

The printing part is easy. Coming up with a label like this for me is not:

summer_beer_label.jpg

Kal

Hi

True, but with a label that's 1" in diameter there's not going to be a lot on it. You only need enough to tell beer A from beer B. Grabbing cut and paste graphics works pretty well...

Bob

kal said:

Kal

Lol k.

Kal, that is gorgeous! consider me jealous.
i basically have the setup you do (home theater and all) but, yours is like living in beverly hills, mine is like living in compton in the early 90s. :eek:.

Nice!

Those towers look nicely chilled. My old one used to do that too in the summer when it was more humid. (Haven't had my current one set up long enough to know if it'll do the same).

I ended up with 8 identical tap handles but put a chalkboard behind where I write out what's available (1-4 down the left side, 5-8 down the right).

basement_Dec4_2012_2.jpg

basement_Dec4_2012_1.jpg

IMG_2254.jpg

Kal

Thanks guys!

Very nice Kal! Is that a Hopslam clone I see on tap?
Yup! A clone recipe from here I believe. 9.5% ABV. Tasty stuff, though I've never been able to do a direct comparison with the real beer. (It's not readily available up here in Canada).

Kal

Latest posts

Back