How to keep your converted fermentation freezer at temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eluterio

Reaction score
So, I was able to convert my freezer into my fermentation vessel for ales with temp control. Works like a charm however, with the change of the seasons from summer to fall and now moving to winter im having control issues. Outside garage temp is getting around 50 degrees and now my freezer is not able to keep the heat and is dropping tempt as well. Checked it this morning vessel is 58 garage is 50 and outside is 34 right now.

Does anyone have any advice to keep temp at ale fermentation temps? And to warm it up internally?

I know easy to just start doing lagers however, I have a few ales I still need to have done for the holidays. Im thinking after this round ill be attempting my first lager.

Thanks!

Without knowing what you use for a temp controller..... hard to make a suggestion.

If your controller has a heat function and energizes a 120v receptacle when in heat mode ..(like a STC-1000 wired to a dual receptacle would) plug in a heating pad meant for reptile tanks.. or use a ceramic heat emitter (also used in reptile tanks)

Some use a simple light bulb in a can to add heat to the chamber.

Thanks guys. Im starting with putting insulation inside top and sides. This might help amd especially with heat sources ypu guys mentioned.

I am in the same boat. I only have the single stage johnson controller. I got it as a gift and its all i need 90% of the year. I am in the transition between needing it to control cold and heat. My only answer is to baby it by setting a higher set point and then manually heating the box. I use a heating pad and or a reptile heater. When it gets cold enough I will switch to controlling heat in the controller. The most important thing is to read the temp of the liquid and not the air for me. Since the beer rises in temp so much slower it can seem awful hot in the box while I am correcting. I am actually correcting 4 degrees now and its tough to manage but I cant afford the 2 stage controller so ill make due.

but I cant afford the 2 stage controller so ill make due.

About $35 start to finish..if you have to buy everything new off the shelf,,,, less if you have some parts to donate to the project (cut a cord off something un used, old Tupperware container or another device you can scrap the case from)
STC-1000 $19.00
120v AC Receptacle and cover $2.50
Power cord $7.00
Project box $6.50

Last edited by a moderator:
Back