How to Jumpstart this Conan Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready2brew

Reaction score
Just brewed a 10 gallon batch of a Citra IPA last weekend. Original gravity into two 5 gallon batches was 1.070. I used a second generation WLP001 in the first and a second generation Conan YG01 in the other. The conan seems to have stalled at 1.022 while the WLP 001 keeps fermenting with a gravity of 1.029. I have used this recipe in the past with the WLP001 and US-05 and I get down to 1.010 easily.

I would like to see the Conan finish fermentation but it appears to have stalled. I raised the temp a couple of degrees from 68 to 70 and I still have no evidence of fermentation in the airlock for the batch fermenting with Conan. The WLP001 keeps going crazy.

I have access to US-05, thick Krausen from WLP001 fermentation,thin Krausen layer from Conan YG01 fermentation, and a vial of WLP001.

Any recommendations on jump-starting this fermentation that seems to have stalled?

1) I'd like to use the krausen from WLP01 as it is the easiest.
2) Second I'd like to use re-hydrated US-05 as it is easy. My only concern is will it have the ability to ferment wort that has the O2 already consumed by the first inoculation of yeast.
3) Third option is to make a starter with either the Conan or WLP01 Krausen skim and then use this.

I read on yg001's site that it often needs to be raised to 72 to finish.[/QUOT

I have raised the temp to 73 for about 1 day and still not activity. I have now made a 800 ml starter with WLP001 and will be pitching this evening. Hope this finishes the fermentation.

Thanks for the advice. Your suggestion to raise to 72 was definitely what I was hoping would work. This yeast must be a little tired and maybe a shot of WLP001 will help.

I read on yg001's site that it often needs to be raised to 72 to finish.[/QUOT

I have raised the temp to 73 for about 1 day and still not activity. I have now made a 800 ml starter with WLP001 and will be pitching this evening. Hope this finishes the fermentation.

Thanks for the advice. Your suggestion to raise to 72 was definitely what I was hoping would work. This yeast must be a little tired and maybe a shot of WLP001 will help.

No problem. Did you check the gravity again or are you basing it on visible signs of fermentation?

I was basing it on the gravity stalling as well as the lack of airlock activity. The starter seems to have helped. I'm going to let it ride another 7-10 days before taking another gravity reading. Will dry hop at that time.

I had the same exact problem with ECY029...1.070 beer stalling around 1.022. I had to resort to Cal Ale yeast like you're doing to get it down a few more points.

There are several reports of this happening, it seems to be related to the generation of yeast. For this reason and that I believe the purported magic flavor qualities of Conan are really overdone, I am finished with this strain.

I'm on track for exactly the same problem with ECY29. The yeast did well for the first few days, then seemed to completely stop. I measured it last night, and the beer is at 1.021 from a starting gravity of only 1.054. I raised the temp. to 70 and swirled the carboy, though it's obvious that a lot of yeast is still in suspension. Judging by the airlock, there's no further activity. I'll try raising it to 72 and will take a measurement in a few days.

I got mine from what became YeastGeek. I used it twice with 80% attenuation, but when I actually brew the Heady Topper clone, I stall out at 60%, 1.028 or so. 1056 to the rescue, or so I hope.

Yep, I'm going to try to take mine down further with Cal Ale, too, assuming it doesn't go any further by Saturday. It's a bummer, because the aromas from this beer have a few more recipes forming in my mind, but I'm nervous to try using it again.

Ready2brew said:
Just brewed a 10 gallon batch of a Citra IPA last weekend. Original gravity into two 5 gallon batches was 1.070. I used a second generation WLP001 in the first and a second generation Conan YG01 in the other. The conan seems to have stalled at 1.022 while the WLP 001 keeps fermenting with a gravity of 1.029. I have used this recipe in the past with the WLP001 and US-05 and I get down to 1.010 easily. I would like to see the Conan finish fermentation but it appears to have stalled. I raised the temp a couple of degrees from 68 to 70 and I still have no evidence of fermentation in the airlock for the batch fermenting with Conan. The WLP001 keeps going crazy. I have access to US-05, thick Krausen from WLP001 fermentation,thin Krausen layer from Conan YG01 fermentation, and a vial of WLP001. Any recommendations on jump-starting this fermentation that seems to have stalled? 1) I'd like to use the krausen from WLP01 as it is the easiest. 2) Second I'd like to use re-hydrated US-05 as it is easy. My only concern is will it have the ability to ferment wort that has the O2 already consumed by the first inoculation of yeast. 3) Third option is to make a starter with either the Conan or WLP01 Krausen skim and then use this.

Completed the fermentation down to 1.014 (expected terminal gravity) by pitching starter of WLP001. Sampled hydrometer tubes and compared the flavors of this 5 gallon batch ( Conan & WLP001) to a 5 gallon batch fermenting with just WLP001. The Conan mix had noticeably different flavors including peach. Very happy so far....just a little extra effort. I'd be willing to use 2 stages of yeast additions again to complete fermentation. Can't wait to finish the dry hop and keg this Citra IPA.

Back