How to Intall DS18B20 Probe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccbadd

Reaction score
I want to try to use some DS18B20 probes but I am wondering how you guys are mounting them? They are the ones already placed in a thermowell like the attached pic. I am assuming some sort of compression fitting but not sure. I am considering this for a recirculating eBIAB that is currently using a threaded RTD from Auberins. The DS18B20 threaded units from Auberins would work but they are so much more expensive.

DS18B20.JPG

You could just drop it in another thermowell installed on your vessel.

Is that for a 1-Wire system? I had been thinking about wiring something up permanently, but was really wanting a drop-in unit, not have to rig up some kind of waterproofing or place a sensor inside a thermowell myself. This looks ready to go.

One thing to keep in mind is that the thermowell that these are installed in can be quite short, a little bit too short for my application. It may be just right for yours though.

That is actually one of my problems. I bought several of them and I think they are just to short. I guess I can look for longer ones.

I planned on installing into a fermentor bucket, so they may be just right. I want to set up a network where I can remotely monitor the fermentor temp, ambient air temp, and heater and fridge cycles. Just have to gather the components and get my old computer networked from the garage.

Could always build your own I purchased these chips and probe ends from oscsys.com that were 20" long. Wasn't to hard to tack wires onto it and insert them into the probe ends with a little thermal paste. I just put a little piece of shrink tubing on the open end to seal the wire to the probe end. Unfortunately oscsys is sold out of all there probe ends. Sucks because I needed another 20" one for another fermenter I am going to build soon. brewershardware.com has them as well but only upto 12". My googlefu is coming up empty finding something longer then 20". I may have to get a 3/8 thermwell for the new fermenter if I cant find a longer one.

Did you do any experimenting with and without the thermal paste? I've wondered if that is really necessary.

I didn't do any experimenting I put a small amount of this on the tip of the chip and pushed it all the way to the bottom. I get a reaction from the probe that is almost as fast as my thermapen. For the minimal cost its insurance that I don't have to pull it apart to add later.

After soldering the sensor to my cable, I coat/seal the leads and wire up to the base of the sensor with epoxy. I leave the sensor alone, no thermowell or epoxy on it and use it directly in all my vessels; HLT, MLT and RIMs.

Here are my probes, two of these are before coating with epoxy.

tempprobes-64592.jpg

What kind of epoxy? The probe ends from brewershardware are only $4.75 and the chip fits pretty snug inside it. I guess if the epoxy is rated for boiling temps and dosnt impart any flavors it would work. Only other question I would have is are the chips rated for direct contact with liquids?

What kind of epoxy? The probe ends from brewershardware are only $4.75 and the chip fits pretty snug inside it. I guess if the epoxy is rated for boiling temps and dosnt impart any flavors it would work. Only other question I would have is are the chips rated for direct contact with liquids?

I don't think the epoxy can come into contact with the wort. The thermowells are only open on one end and that is the end that is on the outside of the vessel.

Edit: After re-reading helibrewer's post I misunderstood. I missed the part about not using a thermowell. I would definitely use a thermowell.

I use JB weld and high temperature, aircraft cables (PTFE). I have no health concerns from the JB weld or from the sensors materials. I use a thermowell for my RIMs because it makes a nice waterproof seal for inserting a probe, but in the MT and HLT I just put the cable/probe in as they are.

I use the same sensors the OP posted...

This is going to look like I work for brewhardware or something, but I do not, just have a bunch of parts from there...

For my fermenters, I have a long thermowell that the probe fits perfectly inside (https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/thermowell.htm ... the 18" bare thermowell). The thermowell is then inserted into one of those orange carboy caps with 2 ports... one for the thermowell, and one for a blowoff tube.

For my brew setup, I use two different parts:

For in-line sensors like HERMS output and Plate chiller output temps, I use these from Bobby M's BrewHardware: https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/pcomp2.htm The cool part about these is you can remove the probe to clean and re-use the same washers since they are silicone and not a crush washer. These are inserted into a tee fitting.

For my HLT and Boil Kettle, I needed to get the sensor further in, so I just slide the probe into one of these thermowells: https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/thermowell.htm

I bought these:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/231277217279
And then asked them about 1/4" thermowells. They made me five of them 6" long. They could probably do any length. (I did have to polish them). I tried thermal grease on one but must have used too much, as it does not respond as fast as the ones I didn't use thermal grease.
For the wire I used 4 wire 22awg stranded security wire from HD.
Here is the connection:

I realize this is an old thread, but one important detail missing is that the DS18S20 senses temperature at the die via conduction through the ground lead - NOT the (plastic) case. Thermal grease is not needed and won't help. Epoxying or heat shrinking the GND lead will SLOW the response.

Simply solder some heavier gauge wire to the ground lead, leave it bare copper and bend it so it maximizes contact with the the thermowell - think coil/spring or a flat run pressing out against the wall, and touching the thermowell over an inch or so. DO NOT heat shrink the ground lead (only the VDD and Data leads). This will give the fastest response.

Back