How to go about creating a product from scratch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

udt89

Reaction score
I have an idea(s) that I would like to produce and sell related to homebrewing. Not reinventing the wheel, just improving on a couple existing basic items.

What's the first step? In my brain it's a drawing, then a patent. But I draw like a caveman. One idea is for a PET carboy.

Anyone ever try to do this?

I am a mechanical engineer. If it isn't to involved I'll create CAD drawings for a few beers. You can use the drawings to get quotes from manufacturers.

fifelee said:
I am a mechanical engineer. If it isn't to involved I'll create CAD drawings for a few beers. You can use the drawings to get quotes from manufacturers.

I assume these can be used for patents too? That would be awesome man if you helped.

I have an idea(s) that I would like to produce and sell related to homebrewing. Not reinventing the wheel, just improving on a couple existing basic items.

What's the first step? In my brain it's a drawing, then a patent. But I draw like a caveman. One idea is for a PET carboy.

Anyone ever try to do this?

PET Carboy?? In other words a Better Bottle. http://www.better-bottle.com/

You could crop pictures off of the drawing I make and use them in the patent application. If you look at patents the drawing are done in a rather specific way. Every patent relevant part needs to be pointed out and described. You could attempt on your own or retain a patent lawyer. They have people that are pros at cropping pictures and creating what the patent office likes to see.

You'll need to write a pretty good description (technical writing is a bit different than standard letter writing) of product/process. Drawings (which may include section views and isometrics) need to be rendered. Before going to far a patent search is a wise move. A lawyer can help with all of these things. I'd be very weary of "Invention Help Services". The patent process is expensive and lengthy. You mention a PET carboy; how does this differ from a Better Bottle?

pickles said:
You'll need to write a pretty good description (technical writing is a bit different than standard letter writing) of product/process. Drawings (which may include section views and isometrics) need to be rendered. Before going to far a patent search is a wise move. A lawyer can help with all of these things. I'd be very weary of "Invention Help Services". The patent process is expensive and lengthy. You mention a PET carboy; how does this differ from a Better Bottle?

PET is the type of plastic. My idea is improving the carboy itself.....just would use PET. Doesn't mean its a better bottle.

ok, first and formost this is your first step. befor talking with a single soul.

write a letter.

Describe as much as you can about your improvements. as best as you can, in simple terms. include sketches. no mater how poor. it dose not have to be pretty. just be as detailed about your idea as you can. With in reason every word dose not have to be spelled correctly. In your own hand is better that typed. (that last sentence may be out dated, it probably dosen't matter by now)

next, make a photo copy, place each copy in envolpes, make one a self addressed.

*and now the magic *

certify mail one copy to your self.

when you get it in the mail, do not open it. staple the two together and put in the safest place.

repeat as necessary.

now and only now you can talk to people.

should there ever be a dispute you have proof of what and when you had the idea(s) let the judge open the sealed letter(s)

this has served my family well.

link

Did you leave out a link at the end?

I did this once with a t shirt design I was selling once.

This holds up im court? Then why would people patent anything?

It used to be a cheap patent method. Now it's just ammo just in case. Still not a bad idea at all, but i thought I heard patent laws might be changing in the US. It used to be he who could prove he had the idea first wins. I thought it was changing to he who files the patent first wins. Does not matter who had the original idea. Obviously check on this first.

Did you leave out a link at the end?

I did this once with a t shirt design I was selling once.

I belive so no one steals your idea before you patent it. Say you discuss your idea with someone only later to find he/she applied for a patent and was approved. This way you have some proof you got the idea first and they stole it from you. But that doesn't mean someone couldn't possibly have the same idea as you and patent it first. More likely to protect you from say discussing your idea with people who you think may help you decide if it is a good idea, can be produced, whatever, only to find later they applied for a patent from your idea after you told them about it.

ok, first and formost this is your first step. befor talking with a single soul.

write a letter.

Describe as much as you can about your improvements. as best as you can, in simple terms. include sketches. no mater how poor. it dose not have to be pretty. just be as detailed about your idea as you can. With in reason every word dose not have to be spelled correctly. In your own hand is better that typed. (that last sentence may be out dated, it probably dosen't matter by now)

next, make a photo copy, place each copy in envolpes, make one a self addressed.

*and now the magic *

certify mail one copy to your self.

when you get it in the mail, do not open it. staple the two together and put in the safest place.

repeat as necessary.

now and only now you can talk to people.

should there ever be a dispute you have proof of what and when you had the idea(s) let the judge open the sealed letter(s)

this has served my family well.

link

Always wondered how you can develop your idea, get help doing so, and still protect yourself from having your idea stolen before you get a patent approved.

Before you give anyone details, at the very least have them sign a non disclosure agreement (NDA) .Consult with a patent attorney and conduct a patent search. The last thing you want to do is spend a bunch of money on developing a product only to find out the same has been done by someone else.

There are 3-D printing services that will help you prove concept/ prototype depending on the size of the item.

Keep in mind if you get to the manufacturing stage, scale will be an issue. Expect to pay an enormous amount of money for tooling. Tooling is the mold (probably blow or roto) your improved PET carboy will be formed by. You will need to sell thousands of pieces to cover the cost of the tooling.

I don’t mean to be a downer, but I have done this before (contract manufacturing) and in almost 100% of the cases the cost of tooling is dramatically underestimated.

Feel free to pm me

Good Luck

Looking into doing a few patents myself, I can tell you that it is not a cheap venture.

Step 1.

Do a basic google search (Shopping/Product as well as a patent search, its in the advanced search), for your idea, if you see a product that is similar, outline how yours differs. Then circle everything in your description that is unique about your product.

That is the number of patents you "should" file so that it is more durable. That way if someone else says hey your patent is crap, you still have the other patents, as opposed to your whole idea getting thrown out.

Keep in mind with the new law that Obama passed, first time inventors/individuals who have a combined household income of less than 200k get a discount on the patent fees. If your patent is approved it will cost about $3.5k for the first 5 applications, then double that for the rest of them.

If you opt to go the lawyer route for filing the patent they are expensive, but you have someone to go to bat for you if you get a patent infringement lawsuit. (Check with your Linkedin groups or facebook groups to see if anyone knows a patent attorney that specializes in mechanical patents). Often, they will give you free advice for a 5 min conversation that will get you started down the right path.

The lawyers often outsource the prior works patent search to the same company the USPTO uses. It costs about 2k for that search.

Step 2. -- Viability --

Create a business plan, and investigate the price of comparable products. Try to estimate the cost to you that it will cost to create and ship these products as well as deciding how you will sell it and how much.

Determine if there is a market for such an idea, estimate the market or demand you think there will be, then divide that by 5. (Its better to underestimate than overestimate).

If (the market demand * the selling price - production price per unit - the patent cost > 0)
{GOTO: Step 3 }
Else
{ GOTO: Step 2 and see if you can reduce cost, otherwise halt() }

Step 3. -- The plunge --

I would start off with a provisional patent, which allows you to get your foot in the door and then you get a year after that to finish filing. It was $300 the last time I checked and you can do that without a lawyer, all you do is throw your designs and descriptions in it etc.

Once you decide to take the plunge if you do as much of it yourself as possible, you can have an attorney review your work instead of having the attorney do the whole thing, will save you a few bucks.

Step 4. -- Production ---

Find a company which will produce your product at low cost, using quality components. And hopefully you get enough buyers to make it worth your time

Good luck!

something to think about also as far as patent research. i dont know about ny, if this would exist or where you would start, but in wyoming, the university of wyoming has some programs set up to help developing products and businesses. as a part of that, they have an office that will assist individuals in patent research and process free of charge. its something to ask around maybe, just to get some free help before retaining an attorney.

My local state university might have something.

Regardless.......im a middle class, blue collar, soon to be hitched in 5 weeks, starting a family thirty something who probably can't afford anything past a google search.

Sucks.

Ok, well keep in mind that if you do everything by yourself for filing, the unavoidable cost will be 3k, which is the sum of the fees derived from the USPTO filing, assuming that it is your first patent submission

Also, congrats on the wedding.
Humor_Wedding_Game_Over_Black_Shirt.jpg

It used to be a cheap patent method. Now it's just ammo just in case. Still not a bad idea at all, but i thought I heard patent laws might be changing in the US. It used to be he who could prove he had the idea first wins. I thought it was changing to he who files the patent first wins. Does not matter who had the original idea. Obviously check on this first.

I am a patent attorney. This is correct. It no longer matters who invents first. Its all on who files first. This was just changed to be the same as the rest of the worlds patent systems. It gets rid of the need for proving who came up with it first (Interference Proceedings) which is very difficult and time consuming.

You can file a provisional patent application for less than $100. Just write up everything you can about it (drawings, full disclosure, etc.). No need to worry about CAD drawings and formatting. Then you have a year from the filing date to follow up with a full blown utility patent application. This gets your idea filed ASAP and gives you a year to decide if you want to spend the money to file a full blown application.

For reference, I have never ever seen an inventor written application that would ever hold up. It takes years and years to learn how to avoid all the pitfalls that can destroy your application. At the very least I would buy NOLO Press' book on patenting it yourself. You an learn the basics of what needs to be in the application and how to format it, etc. Then hire a patent attorney to review and amend to make it tighter. Do not hire an unregistered patent attorney. Make sure they have passed the Patent Bar. You can also consider using a patent agent which has passed the patent bar but is not an attorney. They are people with at least a B.S. in some engineering discipline.

Feel free to ask me any more questions in this thread and I will be glad to help.

Ok, well keep in mind that if you do everything by yourself for filing, the unavoidable cost will be 3k, which is the sum of the fees derived from the USPTO filing, assuming that it is your first patent submission

As a sole inventor you can file a patent application for about $300 now. It's nowhere close to $3000 unless you're using an attorney to assist. Having an attorney draft the whole thing from scratch will cost at least $4000. But I have also done applications that were $15,000 in attorney fees as they took close to 100 hours to draft.

Plus your from Long Island, so I will give you extra nice advice for free. My wife was born and raised in Lake Ronkonkoma...

My local state university might have something.

Regardless.......im a middle class, blue collar, soon to be hitched in 5 weeks, starting a family thirty something who probably can't afford anything past a google search.

Sucks.

I'm surprised on how "stuck" people get on patents. There are any number of products out there that people never bothered to patent. Depending on the idea involved, you may not need a patent. Depending on the idea, is might not be patentable (there are rules for this)...doesn't mean it isn't a good idea or couldn't make someone a boatload of money.

If you have an idea that will make money, that should be your driving force for following it and making a product out of it, not the specter of the idea is going to get stolen from you.

I'm surprised on how "stuck" people get on patents. There are any number of products out there that people never bothered to patent. Depending on the idea involved, you may not need a patent. Depending on the idea, is might not be patentable (there are rules for this)...doesn't mean it isn't a good idea or couldn't make someone a boatload of money.

If you have an idea that will make money, that should be your driving force for following it and making a product out of it, not the specter of the idea is going to get stolen from you.

Very true. First to market is often enough. In the beer market, someone like Sabco and Blichmann have more of a reason to patent their stuff (which they do) to protect their stuff from each other and/or B3.

Patent process is very expensive and lengthy from start to finish.

I would search for an SBDC (Small Business Development Center) in your area. I work in one and we have inventors come through all the time. We have a checklist we give to inventors. We also always advise using an attorney rather than the do it yourself or online patents. they are largely more expensive but they give you what you want, they can explain it to you and tell you everything you need to know.

"*and now the magic *

certify mail one copy to your self."

No, I've been through the patent process and this has zero weight. All the Patent Office cares about is when you submitted the patent application.

The very first thing you do is a patent search. Identify similar patents and determine what makes yours unique.

Getting a patent is easy compared to bringing a physical product to market.

No, I've been through the patent process and this has zero weight. All the Patent Office cares about is when you submitted the patent application.

The very first thing you do is a patent search. Identify similar patents and determine what makes yours unique.

This is true. Never has this ever worked with the patent office to prove an invention date. You simply need a lab book that's signed, dated and notarized. Emails to your self disclosing the invention, etc.

I think he was confusing copyright with patent.

Patent relies on filing, yes? While copyright relies on the written or recorded work, so having a record of the original work along with verified date is valuable. You don't actually have to file for copyright.

Not a lawyer, but have friends who have been through the patent process and another who had a work plagiarized and sued. I picked up things, prolly wrong things, but...

This is true. Never has this ever worked with the patent office to prove an invention date. You simply need a lab book that's signed, dated and notarized. Emails to your self disclosing the invention, etc.

Again, this is fruitless now with the patent law changes. Proof of earlier invention date means nothing. Its all about who filed first.

Latest posts

Back