How to get tap handles further from wall?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trail

Oh great, it's that guy again.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am setting up some wall-through beer shanks and opted for gigantic euro-style tap handles like these.

The handles are big enough that they touch the wall, which doesn't feel ideal (it sucks not to be able to wrap your hand around the handle when drawing a pint) and I'm not sure the handle actually goes far enough back to seal reliably.

I think what I need is a larger (thicker?) flange to go between the faucet adapter and the wall. Something that can create a little space. Currently I'm thinking about going to Home Depot and finding some brass pipe fittings... unless someone has a swankier idea.

Any thoughts? :D

Check out my build. The link is in my sig. I cut circles out of oak. Not precise, but it did the trick

It looks as if photobucket wants me to pay to be able to share my pics... so this is what I did

I used a 1" hole saw that allowed a little play for the shanks in the holes. It allowed me to get the spacers centered without having to be so precise that my holes had to be exactly in the middle. I'm sure there is a very simple way to find the center, but I don't know what it is, so I just eyeballed them

I got my taps and shanks in last night and when I lined things up, I realized that I had the dreaded "My tap handles will hit on the trim of my collar" problem. I looked at buying the pieces that lean the handle forward but I wasn't sure that the angle would be great enough to clear the trim, I actually wanted that angle, or that I wanted to fork over more cash. I looked around on HBT and saw that some people had built spacers. It looked like a good idea so I thought I'd give that at shot.

I took some left over 1" oak and used my 1" hole saw to put a hole in. I then slipped the shank in the hole and traced the plastic outer washer that came with the shanks. I cut that out with my skill saw. I cleaned up my disks with my angle grinder with a sanding pad and then finished sanding with my hand held sander. Obviously this was not very precise, but using the 1" hole saw give me enough play to be able to make it work (I think). I may still have to get the angle bonnets, but if I do, I knw the angle will be great enough to make it work.

keezergrommets.jpg

This is how I did mind with some chrome extensions to match.

You can use the shrouds still if you want to, but I sealed mine from the rear as I liked the clean look of just the extension.

QJLPHGH.jpg

Here is the part as well - link

Nice. These are good suggestions.

I ordered some of the angle bonnets. I don't love how long they are, but I do like that they'd make my tap's "closed" angle be closer to vertical.

I'm going to see if I can make some spacers for the shank as well. Some combination of the two techniques should do it...

Nice. These are good suggestions.

I ordered some of the angle bonnets. I don't love how long they are, but I do like that they'd make my tap's "closed" angle be closer to vertical.

I'm going to see if I can make some spacers for the shank as well. Some combination of the two techniques should do it...

Is it too late to cancel your order? I've got some of these that I don't use with my new build. I think I have 6. You can have them all for $10 shipped... I just gotta find them. Lol!

:mug:

Back