How to get OG over 1070?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celso Souza Filho

Reaction score
Recently I tried to make a brew with a higher og that I’m used to make, but couldn’t get over 1065. The recipe took 12kg of malt for 50l
Any tips?

What's your equipment? BIAB? Recirculating mash?
Have you ever calculated your efficiency with successful brews at lower OG?

With a 20 litre Braumeister 1070 is hard without dme or sugar (or a double mash), there's just not enough space and the pump starts to struggle at 5.5 Kg with 22/23 litres of water.

What's your equipment? BIAB? Recirculating mash?
Have you ever calculated your efficiency with successful brews at lower OG?

With a 20 litre Braumeister 1070 is hard without dme or sugar (or a double mash), there's just not enough space and the pump starts to struggle at 5.5 Kg with 22/23 litres of water.

I use a 65 l pot for mashing and 73l pot for boiling
Recirculating for 30 min, sparge, 15 min recirculate again
300g cane sugar
6kg pale
4kg light Munich
2kg red x

I use a 65 l pot for mashing and 73l pot for boiling
300g cane sugar
6kg pale
4kg light Munich
2kg red x
What software are you using to calculate this, mine shows for a 48l boil that you would get 1.065 at 40l with that grain bill

What software are you using to calculate this, mine shows for a 48l boil that you would get 1.065 at 40l with that grain bill

I use beersmith, that is what I end up with, 1065 at 45l. But I wanted to make 1072 at 50l, that was the target. 100min boil made me lose a lot of water and didn’t get were I wanted. Should I try more malt next time? Or more time recirculating to get more out of this amount of malt

If BeerSmith is telling you 1.065 and that's what you ended with then I'd say adjust your recipe (base malt) amounts until you get to the target you want. 1.072 isn't really that much higher.
As others have already suggested you could make up the difference with DME.

Scaling it up roughly I would go with
8kg pale
5kg munich
2.5kg red x
1kg dme

That would give you 1.071 at 50l with a 58lish boil

I use beersmith, that is what I end up with, 1065 at 45l. But I wanted to make 1072 at 50l, that was the target. 100min boil made me lose a lot of water and didn’t get were I wanted. Should I try more malt next time?
If BeerSmith is telling you 1.065 and that's what you ended with then I'd say adjust your recipe (base malt) amounts until you get to the target you want. 1.072 isn't really that much higher.

Beersmith shows 1072 with that grain bill, that’s why I believe I could adjust something on my process

At what efficiency?
Yes, that must be the difference.

Never seen that mash schedule before. In fact I've never seen a recirculate after a sparge nor a mash of less than 1 hour - but that might just be my ignorance.

What temperature are you mashing at if a single temp or what's the mash schedule if multi step?

Personally I'd have thought 1 hour mash at 62-68 (or even 90 minutes at 62-65 for a very dry IPA) with other steps as additional time if multi step followed by draining the wort and then sparging would get you closer to the software calculated OG (although anything can be corrected by adjusting the efficiency you enter in the software to that of your system, the specific mash schedule and the brew/recipe itself).

M

Beersmith will give you the best results if you customize all of your profiles.

Also, if you are using a recipe you found online it is likely that their efficiency does not match yours. This can result in the types of discrepancy you are experiencing.

You need to track your efficiencies. They are not linear, it all depends. But if you have your efficiencies for different OG's, then you've just got youself a new datapoint after the last brew where you were low. Efficiencies drop the more malt you use. You just need to predict your efficiency at any give OG and the add the correct amount og malt to reach the predicted efficiency.

Mash efficiency (specifically the lauter component of efficiency) goes down as the grain bill weight increases for the same pre-boil volume, all else being equal. The problem with BeerSmith is that it cannot adjust for this effect automatically. The only calculator I know that does account for the efficiency reduction is this one (it says BIAB, but works for batch sparge too.) The net is that for larger beers, you will need more grain (or L/DME or sugar) than predicted by a linear scaling of grain weight based on OG.

Brew on :mug:

Yes, that must be the difference.

Never seen that mash schedule before. In fact I've never seen a recirculate after a sparge nor a mash of less than 1 hour - but that might just be my ignorance.

What temperature are you mashing at if a single temp or what's the mash schedule if multi step?

Personally I'd have thought 1 hour mash at 62-68 (or even 90 minutes at 62-65 for a very dry IPA) with other steps as additional time if multi step followed by draining the wort and then sparging would get you closer to the software calculated OG (although anything can be corrected by adjusting the efficiency you enter in the software to that of your system, the specific mash schedule and the brew/recipe itself).

M

70 min mash at 66°C, I always make an iodine test before stoping, mash out at 74°C, after that 30min recirculating , sparge did some more recirculating to extract some more (false bottom pot) and boiled. The problem was de efficiency on brewsmith, I have corrected know and now shows the correct OG for the amount of malt used. I corrected the efficiency based on this same bash. To get 50l at 1072 I’ll have to add almost 4 kg of malt on this recipe I did. Anyway Beer smells good and got from 1065 to 1018, safale 04 IBU 64, Amarillo/Columbus - dry hopping for 7 days 200g for the 50l lets see how it goes! Thanks for all the help !

Back