how to get better oil extraction post fermentation, looking for ideas or thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to up my game in regards to dry hoping my beers and I have been thinking of how I can do that.

My thought was to have a custom stainless steel mesh made for a 10" house filter I have and place it between 2 kegs on the liquid outs placing the hops (pellets) in the correct side of the filter and then push the beer from one keg to the other with co2. This also may work with just a large micron filter like 10 or maybe bigger.

Has anyone done this or something similar or are there better ideas for homebrewers without conicals and co2 connected to their conicals etc.... .

I am trying to maximize the contact time the hops have, that is the goal and with the idea above, with 2-3 passes, I think there would be a good contact amount as all of the beer would be going throgh.

Look up hop torpedo. I think that is exactly what you want. Sierra Nevada uses this technique for Torpedo Extra IPA.

If pellets, I can't imagine a torpedo providing better contact than just dumping the pellets right into the fermenter. And you can bet they don't use pellets in a torpedo anyway, as it would plug in an instant.

If cones, otoh, a torpedo make a lot of sense, as the movement of beer through a bed of cones is bound to improve extract rates over just passively sitting in a pond of beer...

Cheers!

Back