How to educate the uninformed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tell him it will taste alot more like bud after he is done processing what he already drank.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I tried to sum this up for anyone else in the future who may come across someone telling you that your beer tastes like bud. I know that I will use this advice:

Thank him for the compliment (pdxal)
Then goto the kitchen and grab a handful of rice. In the other hand some nice malted barley and let him smell the difference. (40watt)
Tell him that it's a completely separate style (JoePro)
Let him chose between a few buds in the fridge (gcdowd / Mongre)l
And tell him "…here are some other craft beers you might like..." (Bierliebhaber)

Then witness which he chooses. If he picks the BMC, show them the door! (EROK)
Then look him dead in the eye and said "I feel a hate crime coming on". After that, nothing but a blur of karate chops and flying death kicks to the throat. (Brandonovich)
Followed by either
1) A corney keg to the back of the head would do the trick. (seabass07)
Or 2) hit him over the head with a brick. (Laughing_Gnome_Invisible)
And to finish it off, pee on him (count_dookie)

But, in the end, after all is said and done, I guess I'd be flattered if somebody said my beer tasted like Bud. (phenry)

Thanks everyone for your comments. I tried to sum this up for anyone else in the future who may come across someone telling you that your beer tastes like bud. I know that I will use this advice:

Thank him for the compliment (pdxal)
Then goto the kitchen and grab a handful of rice. In the other hand some nice malted barley and let him smell the difference. (40watt)
Tell him that it's a completely separate style (JoePro)
Let him chose between a few buds in the fridge (gcdowd / Mongre)l
And tell him "…here are some other craft beers you might like..." (Bierliebhaber)

Then witness which he chooses. If he picks the BMC, show them the door! (EROK)
Then look him dead in the eye and said "I feel a hate crime coming on". After that, nothing but a blur of karate chops and flying death kicks to the throat. (Brandonovich)
Followed by either
1) A corney keg to the back of the head would do the trick. (seabass07)
Or 2) hit him over the head with a brick. (Laughing_Gnome_Invisible)
And to finish it off, pee on him (count_dookie)

But, in the end, after all is said and done, I guess I'd be flattered if somebody said my beer tasted like Bud. (phenry)

Hey....I don't see my quote here. :(

All things are a matter of perspective. Given his experiences the strongest influences to his perspective lead him to believe it's similar to bud. I'm guessing it's probably a light vs dark thing. Did he relate the nut brown to amberbock?

If they care to expand their pallete, pull up the BJCP descriptions for light american lager and pale ale and read them off to give him an idea of the differences. If they don't care, feed them good beer anyway and their experience will still skew their perspectives in the long run.

I've found that most people don't care, but I still challenge myself to make beers that fit their palettes (without making bud clones).

All things are a matter of perspective. Given his experiences the strongest influences to his perspective lead him to believe it's similar to bud. I'm guessing it's probably a light vs dark thing. Did he relate the nut brown to amberbock?

Actually- there was no comment on the other two.
it was only the APA that got the comment.
not sure if it is because he didn't have anything else to compare it to...

Back