How to Dry Hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steampunk

Reaction score
Going to try my first dry hop tonight.

Using Pellet hops, do I have to sanitize the hops before putting them in the beer?

If so how do you sanitize them?

I just pour them in as is and wait for them to settle before racking.

You're pouring them in after having fermented for 3-4 weeks, right? Then leave them in for about seven days, rack, prime and bottle.

B

EDIT: Quote was directed at OP.

Beer has been in primary for about 10 days now, was going to move to secondary and dry hop right after racking to secondary. NO GOOD?

Beer has been in primary for about 10 days now, was going to move to secondary and dry hop right after racking to secondary. NO GOOD?

Make sure fermentation is complete before racking. You can add hops after racking or rack on top of the hops. IMO 7-14 days is a good time frame for dry hopping. The hops usually take that much time to settle anyway.

Curious...does it not depend on which type of hops and how much oil is readily available from said hops to determine a good dry hopping time frame?

Curious...does it not depend on which type of hops and how much oil is readily available from said hops to determine a good dry hopping time frame?

The AA% doesn't have nearly as much of an impact on dry hopping as it does during the boil. The beer picks up the flavor and aroma from the hops pretty quickly. After that the flavor and aroma can diminish or become grassy.

The AA% doesn't have nearly as much of an impact on dry hopping as it does during the boil. The beer picks up the flavor and aroma from the hops pretty quickly. After that the flavor and aroma can diminish or become grassy.

Good to know, thanks for the reply!

Any recommendations for amount or type of hops to use for dry hopping with a 5 gallon batch? Are any finishing hops good? If dry hopping to an existing recipe, do you skip the final hop addition?

So does this mean then that I should maybe let it sit a week, then dry hop for another week then rack to bottles? I was going to leave in secondary for two to three weeks.

Any recommendations for amount or type of hops to use for dry hopping with a 5 gallon batch? Are any finishing hops good? If dry hopping to an existing recipe, do you skip the final hop addition?

I usually use on average 1 oz per 5 gallons. Strong beers like IIPA's can use more while lighter subtle beers can use less. Select varieties similar to the way you would pick finishing hops. Both bittering and finishing hops can be used.

Some I like are:
Amarillo/Cascade - Grapefruit, Citrusy
Centennial - Cirtusy
Saaz - Subtle and spicy
Sorachi Ace - crisp, lemon

I don't skip the final addition when adding dry hops to existing recipes.

So does this mean then that I should maybe let it sit a week, then dry hop for another week then rack to bottles? I was going to leave in secondary for two to three weeks.

Yeah, I would let it sit for a week or so before dry hopping if you wanted to age it a bit without having the hops on for too long.

You could also age it in the primary for a week or two. An extended time in primary won't hurt it.

I've had fantastic results with 2 weeks in primary then adding dry hops to the primary for 7 more days. My favorite IPA was done this way, 2oz of Cascades for 1 week. Don't skip late additions in the boil, they all have their place. I'm actually a fan of first-wort hopping if I do anything before 15 minutes, otherwise just hop-bursting and dry-hopping. But I'm most definitely a hop-head IPAddict. :)

I usually use on average 1 oz per 5 gallons. Strong beers like IIPA's can use more while lighter subtle beers can use less. Select varieties similar to the way you would pick finishing hops. Both bittering and finishing hops can be used.

Some I like are:
Amarillo/Cascade - Grapefruit, Citrusy
Centennial - Cirtusy
Saaz - Subtle and spicy
Sorachi Ace - crisp, lemon

I don't skip the final addition when adding dry hops to existing recipes.

Thanks Clonefarmer, exactly what I wanted to know!! Also I happened to be considering a Double IPA for my next batch :mug:

Another question when would I add geletin to clear it up, before or after dry hop?

Any finings you add should be done just prior to kegging/bottling. IF you need them. Time will usually clear beer all on its own, as will cold crashing. Gelatin won't hurt it though. You want to add it to your fermenter about a day before bottling. If you keg, some people will add it to the keg and then cold crash - just have to be careful and know that gelatin can get into the dip tube.

A word of warning about dry hopping - If you choose to use a hop bag (which I like to do), dry hops expand EXPONENTIALLY. My recent IIPA I dry hopped with 4oz of hops (5 gallon batch), racked off to my keg and then had to do the upside down carboy pound to gradually remove hop sludge from the bag before I could get it out. :mug:

Latest posts

Back