How to crush the grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a 50/50 ratio of wheat and barley will it be a wheat ale or barley ale? What do you call it?
When using higher amounts of wheat in the grist, say over 30%,* the remainder being barley and/or other grains, the beer can be called a wheat beer. For certain beer styles, such as (Belgian) WitBier, 50% or more of (raw, unmalted) wheat would be considered appropriate. The remainder would be a barley base malt such as a Pale malt or even Pilsner malt.

* That minimum of 30% of wheat is not etched in stone, can be even lower, to be called a wheat beer. As long as wheat character can be identified, such as haziness, flavor, mouthfeel, it can be a called a wheat beer.

Sparging is just for wetting the grain ,so that's not a big issue

no sparging is getting as much sugar out of the mash kernels as possible...strike water is for wetting....called doughing in....a cheese cloth BIAB would be something so up the 1 gallon people's avenue....

With a 50/50 ratio of wheat and barley will it be a wheat ale or barley ale? What do you call it?
hefeweiezen....
Hefeweizen is a certain style of German wheat beer. It's typical characteristics are mostly due to the use of certain yeast strains that yield specific flavors and the classic permanent yeasty haze or "yeast cloudiness" associated with Hefeweizens.

When using higher amounts of wheat in the grist, say over 30%,* the remainder being barley and/or other grains, the beer can be called a wheat beer. For certain beer styles, such as (Belgian) WitBier, 50% or more of (raw, unmalted) wheat would be considered appropriate. The remainder would be a barley base malt such as a Pale malt or even Pilsner malt.

* That minimum of 30% of wheat is not etched in stone, can be even lower, to be called a wheat beer. As long as wheat character can be identified, such as haziness, flavor, mouthfeel, it can be a called a wheat beer.
Now that's the most correct definition of a wheat beer 🍺 👍

Here's a great thread to give you an idea of what your crush should look like.

A good book on the modern process his 'How To Brew' by John Palmer link to old free version.

If you can access Amazon (I'm pretty sure you can for digital content) you can buy the digital version (Kindle version) of 'How To Brew' 4th edition as well as a book called 'Historical Brewing Techniques' by Lars Marius Garshol.

These should give you all the tools you need to develop your brewing technique with the resources available to you.

Good luck!

Are coffee grinders good and strong enough to crush wheat and barley?
This is just like the one I use. It use to be my grandparents coffee grinder from the middle or first half of the 20th Century....

Image 1 - ANTIQUE CRYSTAL ARCADE COFFEE GRINDER W/ GLASS JAR CUP

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2344532329...yC4nuN5fIPnjyif5wdMiBYD2_saYKjuhoCkJIQAvD_BwE
I can grind very fine with it. And I get better than 84% efficiency from my mash with the grains ground and I'm not running it on the finest setting. Mostly because it's harder on the arm to turn and it takes longer per unit of malt ground. I could run it through twice, but I think 84% efficiency is good enough.

Though If you are willing to pay the prices eBay wants for these things, you can get a more proper for malts 2 or maybe a 3 roller mill for less.

I think the Corona mill is very similar in design, but for some reason believe they don't grind quite as fine as these old style coffee mills. But I've never seen a corona mill in use so I certainly don't know for sure.

If you use a coffee mill, you might want to use more rice hulls in your mash. They don't quite leave as much of the hull as whole as a good roller crush will. Though for BIAB it may not be as much of an issue depending on how you BIAB.

Back