How to clean new ball valves before FIRST use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinemarten

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm curious to hear how people clean ball valves before the first time they are used. I know all about cleaning them once they have been in use. I am concerned about any oils or chemicals left behind from the manufacturing process only. SS Brewtech says:

"It is important that PRIOR TO FIRST USE THAT YOU THOROUGHLY CLEAN YOUR BALL VALVES using TSP and hot water. You'll need to disassemble the ball valve itself (loosen 3 of the retaining bolts) to get inside the valve. The main purpose here is to remove any residuals from the manufacturing process and prevent off flavors in your beer."​

That sounds fair enough, but is TSP really necessary? It seems to me what is supposed to happen is the valves need to be de-greased, not sanitized. Regular dish soap is formulated for that exact purpose. I am aware what soap residue can do to beer, but I guess I have never really believed that you can't get all the soap off stainless steel before brewing if you rinse very well with cold water.

I was thinking it would be sufficient to wash all of them with dish soap, rinse well and then give them a soak in alkaline wash. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

I disassembled mine. soaked them in a un scented dye free dish soap bath. rinsed them thoroughly then soaked in a oxyclean free bath and rinsed the thoroughly.

Back