How to clean a hop spider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I invert it, knock it as hard as I can in the trash, then spray it with my sink or shower sprayer. That gets 95% off. I then soak it in the PBW I am using to clean the kettle and swish it around a bit with my glove on. Im usually at about 98 percent at that point. I let it dry and flip it inside our and rightside in a few times and I get to 99 percent. Theres always a tiny tiny bit of hop residue left at which point I figure it probably wont make a difference in the next boil anyhow.

What brand hop spider? I have the Grainfather and it doesn't seem that bad to get it to the 99.9% clean. Invert it and knock it into the trash, drop it in some PBW for a half hour while I'm finishing the rest of cleanup. Then I hit it with the kitchen sink sprayer and tap at it with a bristle brush to knock out stubborn bits. There's alway a few that I can't get out easily, but I haven't had any issues.

(I just re-read that and it sounds like a lot of work. But in the grand scheme of cleaning everything else it's about normal.)

I have an SS Brewing 400 micron 6x18" spider and every other brew I cook it in hot PBW to get the build up out of the mesh.
One can blast hot tap water on it forever and not get that stuff off.

Eg: this is a sample of what was coating the mesh AFTER I had blasted it with my hottest tap water and hit it with a soapy brush. Gross!

spider_cleaning_03.jpg

This is after a hot PBW soak and hot rinse. Pristine.

spider_cleaning_06.jpg

Cheers!

Back