How to check your propane tank.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
I am not sure the last time I had my propane tank refilled. It still feels kinda heavy but I was curious if there was any real way to check to see how much is left because I do not want my tank to go empty halfway through the boil that would suck.

There is a tare weight on the guard around the valve. That is the wieght of an empty tank. Find an accurate scale and weigh your tank.

Interesting tip AZ, I'm going to try that!

My best suggestion is to have two tanks. When one runs out, I switch to the other one, then fill the empty one as soon as possible. This way, I never know what's in the tank, but since I run them all the way down I never have to know anyway.

Wow very interesting! I will try that when I get home. I can also measure the weight of the tank then do the math...

My best suggestion is to have two tanks. When one runs out, I switch to the other one, then fill the empty one as soon as possible. This way, I never know what's in the tank, but since I run them all the way down I never have to know anyway.

Yep....that's foolproof. Works great for me too. Actually, I have 3 because once my backup Blue Rhino had a frozen valve.

If your in the market for a second tank i got one at Costco for 25 bucks and even has a gauge on it telling your more or less how full it is. The tanks were over in the close out area so i think they were marked down to get rid of the summer stuff.

Webber grills have a gauge that shows how full the tank is, again its like a scale but its more like a car's gas indicator...

I have a gauge that connects to the tank and whatever it's hooked up to. It takes all the guesswork out. I bought mine at Home Depot here in Canada but I suspect many places that sell BBQs should have them.

I have a gauge that connects to the tank and whatever it's hooked up to. It takes all the guesswork out. I bought mine at Home Depot here in Canada but I suspect many places that sell BBQs should have them.

Could be wrong, but wouldn't a pressure gauge just tell you that all you have left is gas and no liquid? Seems it would be a little late by then. Kind of like the CO2 gauge for kegging, just letting you know you're good till you're screwed.

I just take my tank to the bait shop down the road to have it filled every brew day. That way, I always start with a full tank and only pay for what I get (unlike exchanging). I ran out once mid-boil and NEVER wish to do that again.
:mug:

I don't know of any place near that you can refill the tank, just exchange. Maybe it's being in an urban area. In any case, add me to
the list of those who keep two tanks on hand.

I have a pressure gauge on mine. It will give you enough time to prepare for a tank swap, or maybe if you need to turn the oven on to finish whatever it is you're cooking.

I once took a tank to a guy while camping. He would not charge 1/2 price to fill it when it was half full. He said there is no way to know how much he's putting in... HUH? YOU have to use a SCALE to know how much you are putting IN! You can't tell what half of something is?? I only wanted to make sure we had enough gas to last the night running the furnace.

Anyone use those Gas Watch Gauges?

I have been curious if they work well.

Yeah, I have one on my grill tank. It works just like I'd think it would. It reads "green" right up until you run out, at which point it says you're out.
Problem with a pressure gauge is that the pressure in the tank is pretty constant until there is no liquid left. At that point you have a VERY short time left.
Years ago I had a tank with a temp scale running vertically down it. It would change color at the liquid line in the tank. They my still be for sale at the RV places, I don't know.
My technique now is to just keep enough on hand. I thik I have about 4 around the house, in 1 place or another. There's always a full one or 2. Once I see 2 empty, I go get them filled.

If your in the market for a second tank i got one at Costco for 25 bucks and even has a gauge on it telling your more or less how full it is. The tanks were over in the close out area so i think they were marked down to get rid of the summer stuff.

That is a very good deal. Makes me want to go stock up and resell them on CL this spring.... with the proper permits of course ;)

our local BJ's refills them. also most of the rv places and some U-hauls and older gas service stations. check craigslist for free gas grills and get'em that way too, just go exchange the old rusty tank 1x with a new painted blue rhino then just refill. 1 keep 3 tanks between the grill and brew setups.

Back