How to calculate alcohol from grams sugar used?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shopkins1994

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. Does anyone know how to calculate resulting alcohol in grams based on grams of sugar from a nutritional label? For instance if I look at a jar of honey I see it has 16 grams of "sugar" per 21 grams of honey. Is there a way (or a calculator that you can point me to) where I can calculate that 16 grams of sugar will result in X grams of alcohol after fermentation?

Any help is appreciated.

Sam

You can use a brewing program to estimate based on yeast strain and ingredient but as for doing it the way you are talking about does not exist the way I know of. If you scroll down or search for Brewtarget it is free to use and works well. I use it.

The reason it does not exsist is because there are to many variables that go into fermentation. The best way is to make your wort/must and take a gravity reading, then after the fermentation is complete (you will know when the gravity is near the estimated gravity of the program and it is the same reading 24 hours apart. Then you can plug the OG and FG into a calculator. I use Rooftop found here: http://www.rooftopbrew.net/abv.php

That is weird that it would not exist. If all of the sugar is converted, it must convert to a known value, right? Or am I missing something?

Hi Everyone. Does anyone know how to calculate resulting alcohol in grams based on grams of sugar from a nutritional label? For instance if I look at a jar of honey I see it has 16 grams of "sugar" per 21 grams of honey. Is there a way (or a calculator that you can point me to) where I can calculate that 16 grams of sugar will result in X grams of alcohol after fermentation?

Any help is appreciated.

Sam
This forum link will give you an explanation of how to go about it. How to convert Points Per Gallon (PPG) to ABV.
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35341
and a link to explain variables
http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=114317

That also is weird that the people say that there are different concentrations of honey and that is why it is variable. I wonder why they just did not go off the nutritional label which is a set number and would change on the various honey types?

For instance, my honey is 16 grams of "sugar" per 21 grams. My table sugar is 21 grams of "sugar" per 21 grams of table sugar.

Sam

Run some numbers through the ABV calculator based on the different PPG possible with honey. Working it out for five gallons of beer the difference is minimal.
I would just take a mid range number and use that for calculations. With all the other variables in fermenting out a beer precision isn't possible.

That also is weird that the people say that there are different concentrations of honey and that is why it is variable. I wonder why they just did not go off the nutritional label which is a set number and would change on the various honey types?

For instance, my honey is 16 grams of "sugar" per 21 grams. My table sugar is 21 grams of "sugar" per 21 grams of table sugar.

Sam

The problem is that not all of the sugar is utilized all of the time. Also, alcohol isn't measured in grams, it's measured in percentage of volume. Since you're referring to honey, I'm assuming you're making mead, or something like it.

There are general guidelines that say X amount of honey in Y amount of water will give you a Z% alcohol-by-volume mead. But you have to take into account the fact that the yeast will stop fermenting at a certain point, and therefore, will not utilize all of the sugar.

Let's say you throw that 21 grams of honey into water and come up with an Original Gravity of 1.050 (hypothetical number, just using it for illustration). The amount of alcohol produced will depend on what your Final Gravity is after fermentation is complete. What happens if your fermentation stops at 1.010 Final Gravity? Or 1.004? Or 0.995?

I would do a little more research on the basics of fermentation and calculating alcohol, if that's what you're going for. If you're just trying to make mead, then there are plenty of step-by-step tutorials out there that will help.

I found an experiment where 50 grams of sugar with 5 grams of yeast mixed with enough water to make 500ml results in 5% alcohol. Each additional 50 grams of sugar results in an increase of 5%.

I found an experiment where 50 grams of sugar with 5 grams of yeast mixed with enough water to make 500ml results in 5% alcohol. Each additional 50 grams of sugar results in an increase of 5%.

So then why don't you just extrapolate from that and do the calculations based on 16 grams of sugar in the honey you're using? It won't be accurate, but it might get you in the ballpark. Every fermentation is different, and dependent on a number of factors. You're thinking about this very one-dimensionally.

To be blunt, it's not always possible to accurately calculate the amount of alcohol produced from a certain amount of sugar. It is possible, in an experimental setting, to calculate the *potential* maximum amount of alcohol a given amount of sugar would be able to produce, but, again, there are a number of factors that determine the amount of alcohol in a given recipe.

Their discussion seems pretty basic, centering only around the amount of sugar added in an experimental environment, to a fixed volume. It doesn't take into account yeast attenuation or flocculation, fermentation temperature, or any other factors that affect fermentation.

Why don't you explain a little further exactly what you're trying to do. What are you trying to make? What's the base recipe? Do you need help formulating a recipe?

The more information you provide the better advice you'll get.

I'm just looking to see if it is possible to know (within a degree of certainty) that adding a sugar containing ingredient (say honey, molasses, maple syrup, etc) will result in X alcohol based on the grams of sugar the ingredient contains. I understand that there is time, and temperature, etc with fermentation, but if all of the sugar is consumed during fermentation, then none of that should matter.

Sam

I'm just looking to see if it is possible to know (within a degree of certainty) that adding a sugar containing ingredient (say honey, molasses, maple syrup, etc) will result in X alcohol based on the grams of sugar the ingredient contains. I understand that there is time, and temperature, etc with fermentation, but if all of the sugar is consumed during fermentation, then none of that should matter.

Sam

"Honey is a very complex ingredient. It contains a range of sugars, many simple and some complex as well as a chicken soup of living organisms including yeast, enzymes, and bacteria. It also has a very rich flavor profile with exotic, but fragile aromas. Unfortunately, boiling honey effectively boils off the delicate aromas and also deactivates many of the enzymes needed to break down and ferment the honey. Approximately 90-95% of the sugars in honey are fermentable." - BeerSmith
(Consequently I use their software BeerSmith to design recipes and perform calculations, and highly recommend it)

Note that this quote is on the sugars in honey and not the honey itself. As a general rule of thumb I will be using 75% to represent the total amount of fermentable sugars below as the last representation. I have increased the weight by 0.25lbs to keep the numbers closer in line to the "sugar in honey" weight. The first two calculations I give below are for the possible sugars in the honey and not the honey itself (as requested). The two sets of calculations show that the dilution of sugars into water will similarly dilute the amount of alcohol you have by volume:

1 Gallon of Water + 1lb of Sugar in Honey (95%) = 1.044 SG
1 Gallon of Water + 1lb of Sugar in Honey (90%) = 1.041 SG
1 Gallon of Water + 1.25lb of Honey (75%) = 1.043 SG

2 Gallons of Water + 1lb of Sugar in Honey (95%) = 1.022 SG
2 Gallons of Water + 1lb of Sugar in Honey (90%) = 1.021 SG
2 Gallon of Water + 1.25lb of Honey (75%) = 1.022 SG

Then, it depends on the yeast that you use versus the gravity and overall alcohol content. For example, using a simple bread yeast will likely not result in as much attenuation or alcohol tolerance as something like a wine yeast. This means that "just adding honey" is not guaranteed to produce any alcohol. Given a situation where you're using a solution of just water and honey, and a yeast that attenuates completely, the theoretical final gravity will be 0.990. This means that:

1 Gallon of Water + 1lb of Sugar in Honey (95%) = 1.044 - 0.990 = 0.054
1 Gallon of Water + 1lb of Sugar in Honey (90%) = 1.041 - 0.990 = 0.051
1 Gallon of Water + 1.25lb of Honey (75%) = 1.043 - 0.990 = 0.053

2 Gallons of Water + 1lb of Sugar in Honey (95%) = 1.022 - 0.990 = 0.032
2 Gallons of Water + 1lb of Sugar in Honey (90%) = 1.021 - 0.990 = 0.031
2 Gallon of Water + 1.25lb of Honey (75%) = 1.022 - 0.990 = 0.032

Then we can multiply the difference by 131 to get the ABV in percent. Note that the multiplier will change based on the density:

1 Gallon of Water + 1lb of Sugar in Honey (95%) = 0.054 * 131 = 7.0% ABV
1 Gallon of Water + 1lb of Sugar in Honey (90%) = 0.051 * 131 = 6.7% ABV
1 Gallon of Water + 1.25lb of Honey (75%) = 0.053 * 131 = 6.9%

2 Gallons of Water + 1lb of Sugar in Honey (95%) = 0.032 * 129 = 4.1% ABV
2 Gallons of Water + 1lb of Sugar in Honey (90%) = 0.031 * 129 = 3.9% ABV
2 Gallon of Water + 1.25lb of Honey (75%) = 0.032 * 129 = 4.1%

These numbers aren't 100% accurate, which is why I recommend using an ABV calculator or brewing software which will get much more specific numbers than using a chart or list. As far as table sugar, use the 95% calculations above as they are similar representations.

I think the answer you're looking for is, "about half."

16 grams of sugar will become eight grams of alcohol, in a situation where every molecule of sugar is fermented.

glucose --> ethanol + carbon dioxide
C6H12O6-->2 C2H6O + 2 CO2
180.1572 --> 92.1376 + 88.0196 (in grams per mole)

This means 51.14% of the glucose, by weight, is now ethanol, and 48.86% is carbon dioxide.

16 grams of sugar will become eight grams of alcohol, in a situation where every molecule of sugar is fermented.

This means 51.14% of the glucose, by weight, is now ethanol, and 48.86% is carbon dioxide.
I think that after 8 years the OP may have already found an answer.

i just posted somthing similar as a question for calories...but most simple sugars are two somes....keep that in mind....

Back