How to bring out the natural flavors in the grain in a PM?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcole

Reaction score
I've been working on a few PM recipes where I'd like to make the natural flavors of the grain used (ie. Golden Promise) more prominent.

What are some recommended ways of doing this? I'm already minimizing the amount of extract used and pushing the limits of grain I can handle in a PM with my limited equipment.

I'm using Death Brewer's PM method with good result so far.

Thanks,
John

Sounds like you are pretty much doing it right, now.

My PM (or "MG" for "mostly grain") batches have plenty of grain flavor.

Right, MG is a better description than PM for this method. I basically use as little extract as possible...getting about a 70% efficiency from my mashing.

I am still getting around 60%, but keep tweaking my technique. I may actually be getting better than that, and my measurements and calculations are off.

Try to have as clean a fermentation as possible - pitch an appropriate amount of healthy yeast and control your fermentation temperature. This will allow the malt flavours to come through.

GT

I've been using White Labs yeast and getting a complete fermentation from what I can... do you think a yeast starter would make a big difference here?

Controlling temps in my house is more tricky - but at this time of year it ranges in the upper 60s and lower 70s.

I've been working on Scottish Ale which uses a lot of Golden Promise.

While drinking a commercial Scottish Pale Ale called Deuchar's I noticed that what I think is a distinct flavor of the grain really comes through.

Not sure how to specifically describe it though. Its a very nice hint of 'grain' in the middle of the taste/flavor profile.

No, just the same old thread. I haven't done a stovetop AG in a while. Been to busy working with my buddy on the big equipment.

I've been working on Scottish Ale which uses a lot of Golden Promise.

While drinking a commercial Scottish Pale Ale called Deuchar's I noticed that what I think is a distinct flavor of the grain really comes through.

Not sure how to specifically describe it though. Its a very nice hint of 'grain' in the middle of the taste/flavor profile.

Well, all grains have different flavors. Crisp, sweet, bisquity, roasty, malty, etc. Scottish ales often have a malty sweetness, almost a molasses flavor, due to long boil times and other carmelization methods.

I'm thinking I'm going to attempt a stove top AG on my next brew. I think I can do it with my current equipment (6 gallon pot) and your method. Most of the beers I make average around 4% ABV - so I don't need a high OG.

Latest posts

Back