How to Avoid Temp Controller Disasters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramgeva

Reaction score
Hi All
I want to use a freezer as a fermentation chamber and also for the bottles, of course I'm going to use a Temp Controller but my concern are what will happen if the Temp Controller will Fail? I don't want to risk bottles explodes because they frozen.
Do you have any ideas how to avoid it even if the controller fails?
10x

Nope. But I can say I've read about more controllers failing off (so stuff warms up) then failing and freezing things.

I've also accidentally frozen bottled homebrew with no ill-effect (bombs). YMMV

Not an electrical engineer here, but from my understanding of the circuitry, if the temp controller fails, it fails to provide power to its outlet. This prevents the freezer from kicking on. I am sure someone has had the one off problem of a temp probe going bad and leaving the freezer on wide open and freezing everything in there, but that would be rare.

check the freezers built in temp controller limits. If its warmest setting will go up to 32f or warmer set it there that way it might keep your beer from freezing if your external controller dies in the ON possition.

If this is something that really keeps you awake at night with worry, I would just buy two temp controllers. Wire them in series so they both have to be closed for the fridge to kick on.

If they both fail closed at the same time, don't worry about your beer because you are also about to be hit by a meteor.

jesserizzo said:
If they both fail closed at the same time, don't worry about your beer because you are also about to be hit by a meteor.

You killed me !!! Lol!!!!!!
Thanks all, I guess I will just have to take the chance (-: , and actually the failure have to be one that causes to power to stay on and I guess if there is failure it will not turn it on, the internal Thermostat is a good idea I'm just not sure that all freezers can reach this temp.

I use STC-1000s for all of my 3 units. If one were to fail (they've been flawless so far), it's almost certainly going to simply not activate the power outlet into which the fridge/freezer is plugged.

I don't worry about it even one little bit.

Latest posts

Back