How to avoid infections?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnr

Up your IBU!
Reaction score
I was so much more careful than last time.
20200716_215818.jpg

What the heck?

Last edited:
Looks like pellicle to me. Only true way to find out is taste the beer, underneath the sheeny white stuff of course.

Awesome. This should be added to the Pellicle Collection.
It's definitely a pellicle. No idea what particular bug is living large there but it's not necessarily a bad thing.
I'd keep an eye on the SG and when it bottoms out pull some beer out from under that cap and give it a taste.
Could be "turrible", could be epic :ban:

Cheers!

100% a pellicle (infection). Not all hope should be lost, though. Give it a taste and go from there. If it tastes good and is stabilized, package 'er up and drink quick. I should also mention that there are no known pathogens that can survive in beer, so even though you may think it looks nasty it is harmless (other than getting you intoxicated). Cheers!

I tracked and bottled into Seltzer bottles like last time I saw a pellicle. Avoiding bottle bombs...

This has been on my last 2 fruited beers. I boiled honey, lemon, lime, tangerine and ginger in water.
Should I be freezing any fruit, then boil? I've done that method before, but didn't do it using citrus.

Thanks, guys!

Back