How to add alcohol before bottling.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstelley

Reaction score
Hello

I have several different carboys of wine in various stages, but I have 2 I'd like advice with.

First one is a California Muscato from a kit that has cleared up nicely and is ready for bottling. Looks real nice.
It tastes quite good already although I think I'll let it age till fall in the bottles before consuming.
Its weak though. Its right at 8% alcohol, which is what they designed it for, but I'd kind of like to increase to 11% without making radical changes to it.

Has anyone added liquor to wine to up the ante, and if so is there a simple formulae to use? Adding 2-3% shouldn't be too difficult is it?

Second one is a homemade apple cider. It too is aging nicely and is clearing up nicely. I had troubles with it in the beginning getting primary fermentation but after lots of trial and error it seems ok. Its still a wee bit sweet, and also at 8% but there is almost no way I'm going to try and get it fermenting again.

Can sweet wine be mixed with dry wine before bottling? Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Adding brandy to wine is a common way to make port style wines. If you just want to up the ABV w/o adding flavor I think you'll want to use a grain alcohol like Everclear. To figure out how much to add you'll want to use Pearson's Square. It's widely used for mixing any two ingredients. Jack Keller's site has a version where you plug in your values and it spits out what you need to add: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/blending.asp

I would be careful about adding almost 50% more alcohol to your wine though. I would step it up in 1% increments and taste it each step.

If you want to mix sweet wine and dry wine, I recommend treating the sweet wine with potassium sorbate first, then blending. I would also let the blend bulk age for a little while and verify there is no additional fermentation going on via hydrometer readings.

Back