How to add a lime flavor to a blonde ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lime's the one citrus I've not been able to nail, I've tried a lot of fresh lime zest, I've tried lime marmalade in the boil. None of my lime attempts have been as limey as I would like.

I did notice that brewers's garden now has packets of dried lime peel next to the orange at my LHBS, I'm curious if they use different varieties of limes to get more aroma and flavor than the limes basically available at my grocery store.

Basically you'd add some towards the end of the boil, and even some more like you rould dry hopping after fermentation has ceased, for more aroma.

Try adding some of the bottled key lime juice available from the grocery store. Theres very little juice in it, so it's mostly non fermentable. I've made key lime wine with it successfully, so id imagine it works in beer the same way

I just made a great lime "berliner wesse" the trick is to make your own extract. You can make lime extract with the peels from 6 large limes in a jar add 2 oz of vodka cover with water and let stand for 2 weeks. Then decant the liquid and add it to your beer tasting along the way, simple.

I have had great success with a method similar to what yodalegomaster mentions above. I zest several limes and mix the zest with 1/4 cup of decent vodka. I don't use water like yodalegomaster recommended, but I would think that would matter too much. Let the mixture sit in a sealed mason jar and infuse for 1-2 weeks. Shake periodically. At bottling time run through a strainer and add to keg or bottling bucket.

Another tip: when zesting, try using a potato peeler. The 'zest' is little flakes or chips, which are easier to remove from the vodka. Also, I found it easier to avoid the pith

Brewskii said:
I've been eyeing this one up...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/lemon-lime-hefe-weizen-255659/
He uses hops with citrus character, lime zest at I think 5 min, and 1.75 L Simply Limeaid to the fermenter.

I have a pack of dry wheat beer wb-06 that I need to kill and I'm thinking this is a good way to do it.

Just finished it and it came out really good. I would highly recommend it. Doin another this week with tangerine juice instead.

Back