How the hell do you name a baby?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
another thing about unique names, when my daugther was born we named her Katelyn, it wasn't that common then. she could never find anything with her name on it. she was always bumbed out.

the name and spelling is more common now, but her young years she was always looking at pensils, pens and those license plates for bycyles. once in a while she would find it, we would have to buy it...

I did not see it mentioned, although I may have missed it. One thing to keep in mind when picking a name is how will the name fit as a person ages. There are many names that sound great for a child but just don't fit an adult.

Ash? and Avery? for a boy???
I'm glad you had a girl, 'cause that would be mean to give your boy a girl name.

Clearly you're not a golfer....

Not a fan of Evil dead then?

Avery is a unisex name.

Evelyn is a good name if you don't know the sex yet. Of course, if you're a guy named Evelyn, you really should be a Brit.

my aunt works in a hospital and has some unique baby naming stories, including one couple wanting to name their kid "Shi'thead." Don't do that.

First one, we had to come up with boy and girl names, ended up having Ethan. Then #2 was a last minute scheduled C-section on St Patty's day. So we had 5 days to pick a name, came up with Brendan. It's not too Irish like Finnegan would have been and works for us. # 3 is on the way and we've decided that no mater what the name is, it better have a one syllable variation for yelling purposes. So we are going to test our yelling out the back door to see what names flow off our tongues the best.

I swear to god on all things holy.... Do not name the kid Aiden, Brayden, Kayden, Jayden..................

We named ours Ezra, Elija, Ewan. Youd be suprised how many people have never hear of Ewan.

We went with versions of our grandfathers' names. Jack, and Andre, became Jackson Andrew. Maybe you have a name in your family tree that will work?
Also, we didn't tell anyone what we were planning to name our son. We just said "we're not letting anyone know the name until he is born" or something else to change the subject. I really didn't want to hear some relative's or co-worker's opinion on what we planned to name our child.
My wife and I are really into music, so for a while my son's planned name was "drum solo", "banjo", "bridge" or "jimi". we spent a lot of time raising the bar on how ridiculous of a name we could come up with. "Senator" might be a good first name. I guess Bridge wouldn't be too bad of a middle name, maybe.

Also, we didn't tell anyone what we were planning to name our son. We just said "we're not letting anyone know the name until he is born" or something else to change the subject. I really didn't want to hear some relative's or co-worker's opinion on what we planned to name our child.

+1. We did the same thing. But we still had people (that hardly knew us!) sincerely tell us what we should name the baby. I don't understand how some people think that's socially acceptable, but that's just me.

I've also heard or read that it's good not to make a name "official" too early in the pregnancy. If the name is out in the open and established, it can make it more difficult for the parents to move on if the unthinkable should happen.

I've also heard or read that it's good not to make a name "official" too early in the pregnancy. If the name is out in the open and established, it can make it more difficult for the parents to move on if the unthinkable should happen.

I've never thought about that but it makes a ton of sense.

from the new names Ive been hearing these days; heres what you do. You find a name that no one else has you know because you have to be original ...you cant just name the kid something nice...it has to be different. Nevermind the fact that the kid has to live with it for his/her entire life...its about you and you showing your friends that you can come up with something that they couldn't. I think you should name it LaTurnkley. Thats original...he'll be the only one! How cool is that???

SWMBO named our first Cameron and I thought it was a nice enough name. The second was my choosing with her blessing. I have never know a Steve that I did not become very good friends with and the guy that introduced us was a Steve, and the rest is history as they say.

I wanted to name my kid "Boliver". Call him "Balls" for short. Seriously though, the ball-n-chain and I figured out every possible permutation of each prospective name with respect to playground skullduggery. Like Bill to Billdo. Of course Peter and Harry were automatically out. ;)

A family in my neighborhood (long before I was born) named every one of their kids after someone famous. Their last name was Watkins.
Admiral Dewey Watkins

Andrew Jackson Watkins

Prince Otto Watkins

They went by Dewey, AJ, and Otto.

we would just spout off names on car drives and One day I said "Oliver Preston" Has no history in either family. It just sounded good n my head. We then reversed it and named our boy Preston Oliver. It's so weird. I never in a million years would have imagined giving a kid the name Oliver. But I just think it fits. I still can't believe I named (even middle name) my kid Oliver.

When we were thinking of names, we'd try to make fun of them with a 3rd grade mentality to see what he'd be up against. I also used them all in the following sentences out loud, "NAME NAME, get over here!" and "NAME NAME, Knock it off!" They had to flow :D

I would heartily recommend that you NOT give the child a common name with an uncommon spelling. It sucks to go through life having to spell your name all the damn time, just because your parents just had to be creative, but not creative enough to be truly original.

It might be worthwhile to check out the chapter on names in the book Freakonomics. They do a whole bit about names, looking at birth data. They go into a great deal of details about how names get popular and unpopular. Very interesting!

Back