How soon can i pitch my yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simpleman2812

Reaction score
I plan on brewing northern brewers pumpkin ale kit tomorrow. I would like to make a yeast starter. If I make a yeast starter tonight using wyeast activator smack pack can I pitch it tomorrow afternoon. It would be about 18 hrs after making starter. Would I be better off just pitching two smack packs? I plan on using wyeast 1056.

I'm relatively new to brewing (less than 10 batches so far), but in my experience that amount of time has worked fine. With the small amount of sugar in a starter it really doesn't take too long to get to the FG, the only plus I've had from leaving it longer is having more time to let things settle and make it easier to decant off the starter beer before pitching.

crocks86 said:
I'm relatively new to brewing (less than 10 batches so far), but in my experience that amount of time has worked fine. With the small amount of sugar in a starter it really doesn't take too long to get to the FG, the only plus I've had from leaving it longer is having more time to let things settle and make it easier to decant off the starter beer before pitching.

+1, you nailed it!

Back