How Should Wort Taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopin-Josh

Reaction score
Hi all -

Hey I have my first batch of wort going right now and after I put it into the fermenter I tried a little taste...it is REALLY bitter. And not even like a hoppy bitter but like the pith in a walnut kinda bitter. Is this normal? What should the wort taste like?

Thanks for any input!
-Josh

Probably depends on the type of beer you're making. Mine (a brown ale) tasted kind of like an unsweetened tea.

I think it is somewhat like the beer but too sweet and the hops should be very much like they will be in the finished beer.

I taste each batch also, I don't think there is a rule what its "suppose" to taste like. Especially since the carbonation and aging effects it so much by the time its ready to drink. Kind of wish their was, but part of the fun is waiting it out and popping that first bottle.

Hmm I am thinking that something must have gone wrong then. At this point, I would have to say that it's so bitter that it would be undrinkable. I steeped 8 oz of malted barley at 170 degrees for 20 minutes, too long? I used spring water, could that be a culprit?

Thanks!

wthout knowing the full recipe its kinda hard to diagnose a problem but most beers i make are really bitter in front but with a sweetish malty finish. in other words i don't think you have anything to worry about.

Stop worrying. Unfermented wort tastes funny, period.

Ferment it, condition it, let it sit 3 weeks in the bottle bare minimum before You even think of passing judgement.

Hmm I am thinking that something must have gone wrong then. At this point, I would have to say that it's so bitter that it would be undrinkable. I steeped 8 oz of malted barley at 170 degrees for 20 minutes, too long? I used spring water, could that be a culprit?

Thanks!

Based on this information alone, I suspect you extracted substantial tannins from your steeped grain at this temperature. 170° is the temperature where tannin extraction begins (dependent on wort pH as well) and the resulting astringency could be misdiagnosed as bitterness, but is more akin to a tongue-drying sensation. Ever oversteep a tea bag? If so, you've experienced tannic astringency.

A little more information is necessary before we can more accurate diagnose any issues. Wort just boiled with hops will be over the top bitter as well.

Carry it through to completion - ferment, package, condition....then evaluate. :)

You are probably fine. Wort tastes like crap. I always try a sample anyways. Its really sweet, bready and extremely bitter. Its a really harsh and un-hop like.

If you want to be even more worried, taste the gunk that builds up on top of the krausen. That stuff tastes REALLY bad.

Based on this information alone, I suspect you extracted substantial tannins from your steeped grain at this temperature. 170° is the temperature where tannin extraction begins (dependent on wort pH as well) and the resulting astringency could be misdiagnosed as bitterness, but is more akin to a tongue-drying sensation. Ever oversteep a tea bag? If so, you've experienced tannic astringency.

A little more information is necessary before we can more accurate diagnose any issues. Wort just boiled with hops will be over the top bitter as well.

Carry it through to completion - ferment, package, condition....then evaluate. :)

Exactly. 20 minutes isn't too long by any means, but 170* is just a bit too high. I usually steep at 155 for about 30 minutes, but that may just be me.

I think your beer is due a bit more bottle conditioning than most (I'd guess about 6 weeks would be perfect) but it'll still come out tasty. Just don't rush it, and you'll have some damn fine beer, I'm sure! :mug:

I agree with the others on here. Even the samples you might take during the fermentation period can change day to day, week to week. Wait it out. I've never tasted a wort that tasted "good."

Ha ha OK fair enough I'll stop worrying. I can be a bit of a worry wort. No pun intended...

Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated!

You are probably fine. Wort tastes like crap. I always try a sample anyways. Its really sweet, bready and extremely bitter. Its a really harsh and un-hop like.

If you want to be even more worried, taste the gunk that builds up on top of the krausen. That stuff tastes REALLY bad.
Really sweet and extremely bitter at the same time. I can't say I've ever noticed "bready", and I'm definitely not going to admit that I know what crap tastes like.

-a.

Wow, I thought I was a worrier. You're worrying about the flavor before you even pitch the yeast!

Seriously though, it's very hard for me to predict the beer taste from the wort. It's so sweet that it's hard for me to pick out the flavors that will remain. And I think the hop flavor in wort changes a lot during the fermentation. And I think even for a beer that shouldn't be hoppy, like a hefeweizen, the hop flavor in the wort tastes strong but during the fermentation it goes away and just leaves a subtle hop bitterness.

I have similar issue, just made first all-grain batch and made a Stout. I accidentally dropped a few extra bittering hop pellets into the mix, and my wort is very hoppy bitter flavor. Does this mean the beer will be too hoppy/ bitter? I was hoping for a smooth tasting Stout. I have also hear that when I put in the lactose, that will calm it down. Any thoughts? Is my Stout ruined?

Back